INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Cana

Reply with quote  #1 
alright my life is a long and irrelevant story so i will say i love instruments in general andi wish to learn the sitar and buy one for my own usage. i was born in california, recently moved to england.. now moving again to wales probably haha.. not sure where to get a sitar, i have seen alot on ebay, And yes i read the read me 1st, and the link on where to get a sitar and such, BUT! i still need help taking the steps towards getting my sitar. I have no guru, nor do i know of one that is close by. i will be living in cardiff wales soon enough, i have played many many instruments and want to settle with sitar, my most recent and sitting next to me my banjos, my guitar and the rest are woodwind and such which have been sold due to my moving around alot..
I would like a full size sitar that is both great sounding and beautiful in looks. I love the unique look and sound of a sitar over all other instruments.i have seen a few full sized sitars on ebay, some look rather fishy (suspicous and not right) for the price it looks good but one i saw had a crack in the gourd and the author claimed it wouldnt affect the sound at all..?
this is one that i have been looking at for awhile now and really love the way it is. (although i'm not sure it should be in snow o.O)
((http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Full-Size-Indian-Sitar-Guitar-Case-plectrums-/260798428988?pt=UK_Musical_Instruments_Sting_Instruments&hash=item3cb8cc373c)) also anyone able to elaborate on why it says guitar also in the title ? is that just to attract more tags to get more views and probably more purchases maybe? or is it some hybrid sitar|guitar?
Can someone give me theyre professional opinion on buying this sitar?| or a sitar online?
i do know the risks of buying instruments online as i have had problems with it in the past. due to not being able to hear it first hand.
this does say new and unopened.. yet clearly shows it sitting in the snow lol the author and owner of this instrument though seems to sell quite a few of these and gets alot of good reviews, and also goes the extra mile by talking with you till you get your instrument and further helps you with it afterwards if you have any questions.
Any advice given is very much appreciated, please if you have any advice even not related to my purchase but as to playing i will take it very thankfully as well.

Puppy
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
No idea why "guitar" is in the title, I'm sure its just an effort to get more search clicks on ebay. On a side note, I note that the seller stuck it outside in the snow for a photoshoot...as sensitive to temperature fluctuations as these instruments can be I don't think I'd be doing that!

Anyway, as an owner of only one sitar I'm not really qualified to make recommendations, at least outside of the US. Maybe the UK-based members (such as trippymonkey) could offer some suggestions for the UK. I'd personally be very wary of eBay, generally speaking. Apparently the market is flooded with low quality sitars, so it'd be very, very easy to end up with one unless you're dealing with a dealer that is known and trusted in the sitar community. Hopefully someone chimes in with some recommendations!

The fact that they aren't advertising a maker, or displaying a nameplate, makes me concerned that it is just another low grade instrument churned out of sitar mills like you see all over ebay. It -could- be a fine instrument, but it could also be kind of low quality. Anyway, I'll leave further speculation to the more experienced. Welcome!
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Cana,

I am not sure where to buy a sitar in the UK, but I can assure you that you do not want to buy that piece of crap you are looking at on ebay.
That sitar is just a low end door stop. Maybe one out of a hundred might have an OK tone, but I would assume that this sitar sounds like shite.
My first sitar was a similar low end ebay sitar. In the end it was just a toy. I barely has a sound.
At my first lesson I found out what a sitar should sound like and I never touched that crappy sitar again. Completely useless.
You could get lucky and find it makes an OK noise, but these no name sitars are pumped out by the hundreds and are of no use to a musician who actually wants to learn to play the sitar.

You should send a private message to forum member "Trippymonkey".
He is a UK resident and usually has affordable sitars for sale that he picked out in India. If not he could probably point you towards a source in the UK.

Outside of India I personally feel that the best places to find a sitar online are:
The Ali Akbar School in San Rafael, ca. http://www.aacm.org
Rain City Music, http://www.raincitymusic.com

You would have to pay for shipping to the UK, but they will sell a sitar that is set up correctly and is ready to play.
At least you would know it is a good playable sitar.

The most important thing is DO NOT buy that ebay sitar.
No good can come of it.
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #4 
RUN - DON'T WALK
And contact Trippy Monkey here on the forum - He is Da Man (er..Monkey) in the UK to help you with a sitar. He JUST got back from India with a load of goodies & I believe more are being shipped from his source in India. He will take care of you and you can be assured of a real gem, as he hand selects all his beauties then has them gone over with a fine toothed comb.
Remember the name Trippy (not Cheeky) Monkey.

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #5 
hehe thanks guys ^^
apparently the sitar i listed is now sold xp glad i didnt get it.
ill look for this monkey an try an catch him at a good time x)
here i come mr monkey
ragamala

Reply with quote  #6 
Nick's your man!

And he gives a monkey-back guarantee, I hear.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.