INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
talasiga

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaan
did you grow up on the moon, sir?
Possibilities on this planet aren't just black or white as they are on a harmonium. Try and keep that in mind before launching into inter planetary queries.

Reply with quote  #17 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "talasiga"
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaan
did you grow up on the moon, sir?
Possibilities on this planet aren't just black or white as they are on a harmonium. Try and keep that in mind before launching into inter planetary queries.
Well actually, my idea of a 'continent' is fairly rigorous-it includes the islands attached to its shelf. :wink:

p.s. For someone who plays the harmonium you seem to have a low opinion of it. Don't let those incorrigible dhrupadias brainwash you further, ji.

Reply with quote  #18 
lets get one thing straight jaan!
I don't have a low opinion of my harmonium.
Rather, I think it has a low opinion of me .....

Reply with quote  #19 
Maybe a new thread should be opened "do flashy virtuoso performers of ICM distort public tastes?" There is a lot of 'flashiness' around these days, not only in ICM (some virtuoso harpsichordists that race through beautiful pieces) and a lot of it happens much in the way of imitation of succesfull formulas of other artists who have hit big, such as Zakir Hussain. Since performers started to believe that's whats expected of them, a lot of running around and not getting anywhere is going on. As for walking out of concerts, I stepped out of a tour in which I was booked to accompany on tanpura for much the same reason. Still, I hear no complaints from musicians I know who can really take it slow about audiences falling asleep or booing out of want for 'flashiness'. I suppose if the musician has depth, he can do whatever. If you don't, you want something else to impress with and its probably safer to get into flashiness.
Anyway, I'm fine with a full performance cycle coming to a fast conclusion but in general prefer alapa and slow stuff.
regards, martin
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #20 
It's a two way process. Audiences are bigger but not necessarily better. If they were, I hardly think they would engage in that most unmusical of shows appreciation, the loud clapping applause, after every fast tan or rhythmic tihai. I don't think the large concert stage is helping either. In an intimate setting the audience is immersed in the music and rapport with the musician, which generally render the whole experience as less needy of showboating to feel satisfied.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.