INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Bluelotus62

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings all.I signed up yesterday and have a query on harmonium couplers.
On this web site it is advised to never buy a scale changing harmonium because they are very unreliable. My question is : Are scale change type couplers on harmoniums also unreliable?
If so are there other type couplers that are OK?
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #2 
Coupler mechanisms per se, are not problematical. In a non-scale-changer style harmonium, you can have problems if the harmonium is turned up-side-down because the coupler tines can become disengaged from the keys. In the even that this occurs the situation is not so terrible and rectifying it is not brain surgery.

Scale-changer harmoniums are not necessarily unreliable by nature. If you buy a bad one, ie: one built with green, or un-cured wood, you have bought yourself a nightmare. But a high quality scale-changer can be totally reliable and a pleasure to use. I don't recommend them for musicians who travel as they don't generally do well with rough handling and constantly being moved around - and at the very least, if you're someone who travels a lot with your instrument, you need to be handy with tools and un-afraid of making adjustments and doing the occaisonal bit of tinkering.
Best,
Keshav

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com
Bluelotus62

Reply with quote  #3 
Many thanks for the advice re couplers.
I,m hoping to buy a coupler ,3 reed ,vertical board ,teak harmonium in London this
week end. I,ll make sure I don,t turn it upside down transporting it home to Wales!
Regards
Bluelotus62
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.