INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
mrahul

Reply with quote  #1 
Haridas Vhatkar's website quotes the price of a tabla set at whopping Rs. 17,000. I have got a quote from another supplier in Mumbai (Haribhau Vishwanath) for Rs. 7000 which seems to be in line with the standard market!

I understand that Vhatkar's tablas have a great reputation but wonder if they are really worth paying such a big premium.

Could difference in the quality of material used result in price difference of that order? or is it the premium for Vhatkar's reputation as a celebrity tabla maker? Would like to mention that Vhatkar's site mentions their daggas are made of copper whereas the one offered by Haribhau V is of brass. Any particular pros and cons of the 2 material?

Would be glad to get some feedback, especially from those who have owned/played Vhatkar's tablas. Thanks....
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "mrahul"
Haridas Vhatkar's website quotes the price of a tabla set at whopping Rs. 17,000. I have got a quote from another supplier in Mumbai (Haribhau Vishwanath) for Rs. 7000 which seems to be in line with the standard market!

I understand that Vhatkar's tablas have a great reputation but wonder if they are really worth paying such a big premium.

Could difference in the quality of material used result in price difference of that order? or is it the premium for Vhatkar's reputation as a celebrity tabla maker? Would like to mention that Vhatkar's site mentions their daggas are made of copper whereas the one offered by Haribhau V is of brass. Any particular pros and cons of the 2 material?

Would be glad to get some feedback, especially from those who have owned/played Vhatkar's tablas. Thanks....
I know nothing about either of those tabla makers but 17,000 Rs = $310 which is typical for an average tabla set here in USA while 7000 Rs = $128 which would be quite a bargain for an average tabla set in USA!

There's a useful discussion about copper vs. brass in the archives at ...

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/archives/1/0571.html

Quite surprising to me is that according to one poster Brass has some high overtones which or may not be to one's liking. On the other hand most seem to agree that with respect to sound quality, it is overwhelmingly the quality of bayan skin that matters most.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Djinn Fizz

Reply with quote  #3 
Firstly - $300.00 is not a typical price in the USA for tablas of any quality.

Secondly Vhatkar's tablas - if you purchase them in person at his place in Bombay
are vastly superior to most tablas available in India or elsewhere. That said...
If you buy online from Vhatkar - chances are very good you will be disappointed.

I did a deal to order 6 pair of tablas from Haridas some years back. Two pair
were for friends I play with and the other three were for students of a local
teacher. Of the 6 pairs when they arrived, four of the dayans had enormous
cracks in them and two of shayhis were worthless and buzzing and it was
clear that he'd used old reject pudis for these. The packing job he did
looked like the work of a three-year-old and all the bayans were banged
up and dented. Clearly - he's become like so many instrument makers
in India - who having achieved recognition for good work - only do their
high standard stuff for local or famous players - and send out whatever
crap they can get away with to customers in Europe and America.
Buyer beware.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Djinn
Firstly - $300.00 is not a typical price in the USA for tablas of any quality.
I'm not sure exactly what you mean but are you suggesting that is far too low a price? Consider the following tabla sets available:

Tabla Set Mumbai Regular = $230

http://www.kalakendar.com/tabla-set-mumbai-regular/

Regular Tabla Set
Starting at: $285.00
http://www.aacmstore.org/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_98&products_id=341&zenid=b6c843ede450838d9a9e1765d5c58af5

( TBSS ) Tabla Set, Aluminum Bayan = $245

http://www.musicoutfitters.com/ethnic/tbss.htm

With shipping, these prices are near enough $300 as to be a "typical" price. These are are all "average" tabla sets in that they are the typical student model tablas.

Amazon also has a wide range of tablas, some as low as $169 - and up to $600.

Pascal
p.s. Kala Kendar is actually in Canada ... but close enough.

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.