INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
anju831

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi Guys,

quick question: How do you guys feel about hanging sitars on the wall, hanging from the unused top most tuning peg (ghandar pancham)?

Does this damage the sitar at all? Good idea? Bad idea? I've seen a lot of music stores hang them like this, just curious.
katyrow

Reply with quote  #2 
Like this? (From Lars' Facebook page)

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/v/t1.0-9/1525142_10151784684231792_1019790933_n.jpg?oh=f95ddb1ee705a51ddab46dcc8c0629dc&oe=550030B4&__gda__=1429578626_bc2fdaf81ea5ab5fd2bed6b9444c1074[url]
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #3 
I wouldn't.

Maybe Tony or Lars know better but I think it would be very hard on the instruments for anything more then temp short term storage.( like the builders do while stain dries.. Or lars for short term awaiting sale)
I would think for permanent display..storage that esp the peg would suffer, as well as putting a possible strain on the wood surrounding the peg hole which could split.
My solution was I installed a 16 inch wide by 7 ft long oak shelf in my music room about 3.5 ft high. I currently have 3 sitars .. A vocal tampura ... A Strat .... And various & sundry goodies on display on this shelf.
The sitars are face on for display . I Could fit probably 6 instruments if I angled profile.
Each instrument rests on a tabla ring and I installed a bracket at each end just below the average height of the lower peg on the front. I then fastened a length of extra thick silk drapery cord and ran it in a loose loop just below that bottom peg ... Just to keep them from toppling.
VOILA... Very secure ... Very attractive... Very inexpensive .. And very fast 2 day project (1 day for stain to dry).
BTW I used HEAVY DUTY iron shelf brackets w 100 lb anchors in the wall for support. Overkill for sure. But it ain't goin nowhere with my precious babies.
If you only had a couple instruments a three foot shelf would suffice. This could work anywhere.

Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #4 
It's ok for awhile when drying, etc. Make sure you keep the rope or rod close to the instrument, if it's very far out you could warp the peg as they will bend. Makers use this setup but it's usually temporary, a few weeks. Otherwise some of them will attach a screw-in loop/hook to the top of the headstock and hang that way. The instruments in that picture were waiting for final fitting.
Better to lean it in a corner if you can or devise a permanent solution like Brian.

Lars

Reply with quote  #5 
Please don't hang sitars by the pegs !!! The weight of the instrument bearing down on that peg shaft will eventually cause the shaft to bend. Even string tension on main peg shafts will cause a permanent bend unless the string is wound so that it leaves the shaft around 1/8" from the neck. The prying factor is reduced by doing so. Also, putting your faith in that peg staying in the neck is just plain stooooopid. Most of those pegs and holes are out of round. Changes in temp and humidity could cause the peg to come loose. Next thing you'll find is your sitar on the floor in many pieces. I've seen the Ghosts display method as described here. Safe and solid ! Having these instruments out of any traffic pattern, secure and padded on the bottom and preferably on the floor is recommended. Leaving the instrument in its case is ideal. Oh yeah ! Direct sunlight must be avoided. It will fade the finish at least and beyond that, blister the finish permanently. Love your baby !

Reply with quote  #6 
Using a shelf to support the weight of the sitar works great as part of a wall mounting system. I use a banjo String Sling (wall mount), which fits nicely inside the tumba. This keeps the sitar in position, but I also use two curtain hooks and a nice curtain tie-back rope to secure the sitar to the wall -- without any pressure on the neck or pegs. I use a taupe and magenta colored tie-back with nice brass loop ends. This wraps around the neck just below the Ma peg.

The banjo String Sling also works when the tumba is not on the sitar. Just put one of the String Sling 'fingers' into the mounting hole for the tumba.

I have two sets of curtain hooks on the wall. One to hold the sitar with the tumba attached, and one to hold the sitar without the tumba.

No stress on the instrument, very stable, and a nice place to keep the sitar handy – and safe.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.