INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
When I meend on the Sa fret to ma or further the string is touching the next fret (Re). Resulting in a dead tone. This only happens when the fret is on the komal Re position, not with shudh Re.

So my Re fret needs to be hammered down. My question is: do you remove the fret from the sitar? I hate it when I hammer on the fret when it is still attached to your sitar. It sounds like you are damaging the sitar (yes I use a wooden block to protect the fret). But when you hammer it down when the fret is not on the sitar you don't know when it is good and when you should stop hammering.

Any tips?
vevek

Reply with quote  #2 
Yep..a common problem

hammering while the fret is still tied is not recommended. If the fret is just slightly out (and i stress...just slightly) then a good G Clamp with some thick felt/leather protection on the neck side and a piece of rubber on the fret side(3 inches of rubber garden hose slit along the side takes up the curve and stays put quite nicely) should do the job in a controlled way.
If the fret is way out then you need to untie it and tap it with a wooden mallet against a wooden form (as close to the shape of the fret as possible.
sometimes if a miniscule adjustment is required, a slight push along the direction of the fret also works (remember that the curve of the fret is not symmetrical) and you need to push in the direction that brings a shallower part of the fret under the main string.
irritating problem but easy to fix
good luck
V
barend

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "vevek"
If the fret is just slightly out (and i stress...just slightly) then a good G Clamp with some thick felt/leather protection on the neck side and a piece of rubber on the fret side(3 inches of rubber garden hose slit along the side takes up the curve and stays put quite nicely) should do the job
V
I don't understand what you mean by this. What is a G clamb?

pushing the fret more to the side of the taraf pegs is no option since it is the Re fret and this one needs to be moved from komal to shudh all the time. I have tried this with other frets and if your lucky it works but most of the times it doesn't help.
fbidris

Reply with quote  #4 
I suspect this problem has occurred after you completed a jawari on the bridge, which lowered its height. Best solution is to raise the bridge--easier said than done. You should get professional help as this is tricky business.

Hammering down the fret or lowering it by some other method could help, but there is always the possibility that you will have to do the same to the next higher fret (such as Ga or when you pull meend from the Re fret, you have the same problem), and so on until you have treated all the frets.
barend

Reply with quote  #5 
you don't have to raise the bridge if only one fret is giving you problems.
Raising the bridge also will result in a different (heavier) playability of your sitar.
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi Barend,

It does actually sound like your action is too low... that's the only time I've ever encountered fret buzz. Even raising the bridge by just 1mm might fix it. It seems risky to change the actual shape of the fret..??

Do you get any fret buzz on high komal ga when meending to, say, high ma or pa?

- Rex
barend

Reply with quote  #7 
no no buzz on the komal ga fret when when meending.

I might try to move the bridge further away from the neck. Recently I moved it a bit more to the neck side to get lower action because it was playing too heavy. The action is ok now not too high or too low.

I only get the fret buzz/dead note when meending high say from middle sa to ma or pa.
rex@sitar.co.za

Reply with quote  #8 
Interesting! Keep us posted
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #9 
Might be the fret can be shifted laterally one way or the other, as in perpendicular to the strings. The curve of the fret is then shifted in relation to the strings and other frets. Doing so might actually correct this particular fret. Otherwise, your best bet is to remove the fret, pound it into submission and retie it back on. Have fun.

Reply with quote  #10 
Hey Tony,

I already have done this with my other sitar and sure it can help sometimes. But now it is the Re fret. Because you have to shift it all the time it not so handy to move it more to the side of the taraf pegs. As I siad it is only with the komal Re not when shifted to shudh Re.

Also yesterday I shifted the bridge 3 or 4 mm away from the neck. It did help a little bit but not completely. So I still have to hammer it down a little.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.