INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
polishcomedy

Reply with quote  #1 
I received my first set of tabla today. It is vastly under tuned, but designated for C#. I tried hammering the gatta down a bit, but the pitch barely changed. Should I hammer them to the bottom or pull a third strap over them? I noticed in tuning tutorials people seem to have 3 straps over the gatta. Thanks.
polishcomedy

Reply with quote  #2 
One other thing. I was of the impression that the baya was heavier than the daya, but that certainly isn't the case with my set. I don't have a scale, but the daya feels much heavier, and the baya is supposedly 3.5kg, as per Kala Kendar's specs. Is that normal?
pbercker

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "polishcomedy"
One other thing. I was of the impression that the baya was heavier than the daya, but that certainly isn't the case with my set. I don't have a scale, but the daya feels much heavier, and the baya is supposedly 3.5kg, as per Kala Kendar's specs. Is that normal?
Presumably the baya really is 3.5 kg = 7.7 lbs as advertised (if you don't have a scale,maybe compare with a gallon of milk which weighs 8.6 lbs ... so drink a glass or two to get it closer to 7.7 lbs!).

A typical daya will typically be a bit heavier than the baya - I think around 8-12lbs, or more, unless of course you've got one those super-heavy baya at 4.5kg. It depends on how deeply hollowed out it is on the inside. They're generally hollowed out about half-way, but I have one that's almost completely hollowed out, and consequently very very lightweight, and another one that's only 1/3 hollowed out and very very heavy, and also the most stable. Generally speaking, the heavier it is the more stable it is, which is what you want.

I should note that this is also dependent on the density of the wood. Presumably it's sheesham, a kind of rosewood, which is very heavy and comes in at 55 lbs/cubic foot! http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
I received my first set of tabla today. It is vastly under tuned, but designated for C#. I tried hammering the gatta down a bit, but the pitch barely changed. Should I hammer them to the bottom or pull a third strap over them? I noticed in tuning tutorials people seem to have 3 straps over the gatta. Thanks.
Frequently discussed issue ... Have a look here ...

http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12294&p=75621&hilit=straps#p75615

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
polishcomedy

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks, Pascal. I had found that page already, but there wasn't much info there, and the other links spoke of putting 4 straps over the gatta. Just wanted to know how common doing 3 was. Also, does it matter which one I use to go over the gatta (the "under" or the "over" strap)?
pbercker

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Thanks, Pascal. I had found that page already, but there wasn't much info there, and the other links spoke of putting 4 straps over the gatta. Just wanted to know how common doing 3 was. Also, does it matter which one I use to go over the gatta (the "under" or the "over" strap)?
Having wondered about that myself, I often try to take notice of many straps are on the gattas whenever watching a tabla player on youtube. By far the most common set up is the 2-strap setup, but I've seen plenty of 3-straps setup even among the best professional tabla players (i.e. a tabaliya) and also 4-strap setup but less often.

It has been argued that the 3 strap set up is not ideal in that it may unbalance the tabla head. It's a reasonable possibility but it may (or may not?) then be possible to restore the balance when fine-tuning. Moreover, if you do in fact succeed in properly tuning the dayan, that can only be because the head is now essentially balanced (but I stand to be corrected on this, so hopefully others can either confirm - or disconfirm - this). Speaking for myself, I've almost always eventually put 3 straps (and frequently 4 straps) and I've never really had a problem (but your mileage may differ!).

About the "over" or "under" strap for the 3 strap, I'm not really sure and I've not considered that before. I think what matters is that whatever strap as the 3rd strap you choose, you should be consistent throughout. So as to minimize the risk of unbalancing the head, if the first one you do is at 6 o'clock, do the next one at 12 o'clock from there, and then at 3 o'clock and then 9 o'clock, etc...

postscript edit: I forgot to mention that there are also examples of tablas on just one strap (which is often how they are shipped I think) and any number of people have been fine with that and their tabla sounded great.

Finally, once in tune, it's probably best to simply keep it tuned, and don't loosen it by loosening some of the gattas as some people do. At the very least David Courtney writes that this is a common misconception in "Fundamentals of Tabla", and that doing so is apt to make your tabla eventually unreliable.

Pascal

polishcomedy

Reply with quote  #7 
I watched the tuning video offered for free by Ali Akbar College of Music. He said to use the "over" strap, which I did. Here's the weird thing. I put 3 straps over all the gatta and pounded them down. There was almost no change in pitch from the 2 straps. I decided to pound the top of the head, which my understanding was for fine tuning. Lo and behold there went the pitch higher and higher. I've got it around C# now, which is what the tabla was designated as its natural pitch. I'm wondering if I should undo those 3rd straps since it was the top braiding that did all the work... :?:
pbercker

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
I watched the tuning video offered for free by Ali Akbar College of Music. He said to use the "over" strap, which I did. Here's the weird thing. I put 3 straps over all the gatta and pounded them down. There was almost no change in pitch from the 2 straps. I decided to pound the top of the head, which my understanding was for fine tuning. Lo and behold there went the pitch higher and higher. I've got it around C# now, which is what the tabla was designated as its natural pitch. I'm wondering if I should undo those 3rd straps since it was the top braiding that did all the work... :?:
I would leave well enough alone! Moreover, putting the 3 straps very likely increased the tension enough so that the finer tuning could actually take effect, and might not have worked well enough with just the two straps. There's no guarantee I suspect that if you go back to 2 straps that you will be able to get back to C# . Also, if you go back to 2 straps you may find yourself hitting with more force on the braid than is good for it in order to get back to C#.

Pascal

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.