INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Sitarismylife

Reply with quote  #1 

I think it is one of his quintets. Never heard anything like this before.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
I don't have access to youtube right now but from the link it sounds like it may be this album:
http://oriental-traditional-music.blogspot.com/2011/06/ustad-abdul-halim-jaffer-khan-sitar.html

Sitar Through Ages. My introduction to Ust Abdul Halim Jaffer Khan, and a very interesting one at that! The first side in particular is pretty wild and a good counterpoint for those of us so immersed in the accepted conventional styles of sitar ICM (not that there's anything wrong with that!). He does some cool things with artificial harmonics and chords on a few of those tracks, I can't remember if its the Kafi or the Bhimpalasi, but I recall being impressed by each of those tracks and the Sufiana Rang, which is impeccably orchestrated and put together. Thought of trying to chart it out someday, maybe I still will. Definitely multiple sitars involved...

Whenever I listen to him he always strikes me as a player's player...one that sitarists, particularly, would appreciate. Which isn't to say that general music fans wouldn't, just that he attempts and succeeds at a lot of technical feats that someone experienced with the limitations of the instrument would marvel at, upon hearing. Like hearing the great players pull up to the highest Sa, or even beyond, a layperson would rarely know to appreciate that as a sitariya would!
Sitarismylife

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, he seems to be a musician's musician. What is also striking about him is that he keeps his strings open and also does a little bit of tan on the low-pa string! I wonder what his tuning style is? Such a great musician lost in oblivion.
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Thanks for reminding me what a great player he is! haven't listened to him in a while but been doing that again for the last two days. Very much his own style and amazing techniques, sometimes almost guitar like.

@Sitarsmylife: tuning is regular KP tuning, but lowest taraf is Ni most of the time
Sitarismylife

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks, barend.
I am just amazed at how he mannages to do a fast paced taan on the low pa string. Must have taken years of practice. In a documentary he says how he used to put washing powder on his finger when it got cut and practiced more theareafter.
barend

Reply with quote  #6 
Yes pretty cool those low tan runs. I have been practicing those since this week. Getting better at it. It is hard to make it clean and not touch the other strings with the mizrab. Btw anyone know what is meant by Jafferkhani baaj? It's a mystery to me. It is mentioned in every article about him but none of them explains what it really is....
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #7 
I thought he meant his particular style of playing, by that, but that may be oversimplifying things, I don't know.

There is one clip from somewhere on one of these albums where he does these fast cross string taans and they sound like they are composed mostly of hammer-ons and pull-offs (to use guitarist terminology...sparsh and krintan in ICM?), no or few mizrab strikes. Amazing stuff.
Jeff Whittier

Reply with quote  #8 
There is a longer version of Ust Halim Jaffar Khan playing Zila Kafi on his "75th birthday" CD. In addition, he wrote a book called "Jafferkhani Baaj, Innovation in Sitar Music" with a preface by Annapurna. If you're interested, the book will give you a lot of ideas for sitar performance. He has his own repertoire of bols, quite different from the VK or RS or NB styles (baaj means "style," btw).
barend

Reply with quote  #9 
what are his special bols exactly? It still is a mystery to me what the Jafferkhani baaj really is. All descriptions (if any) are pretty vague.
Don't have access to the book. Someone here has it? Also not sure if you can read such things out of a book but would be nice to see it anyway...
Jeff Whittier

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "barend"
what are his special bols exactly?
That's what you study with someone to find out.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.