INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sam

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I was learning the sarod a couple of years back but as I am a guitarist, I had to give up because it prevented me from playing and even threatened the health of my instrument (long nails would have started to damage the fingerboard. However, I just heard of Gulfam Ahmed Khan and watched a video on youtube - I see that he uses thimbles on his first two fingers - this would be ideal for me! I have no delusions of ever being proficient on the sarod but I'd love to play again; does anyone know where I might find such thimbles, please?

stuart
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi
Have you never tried those falsy nails women use???

Nick
sam

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi, thanks for the suggestion - I haven't tried them, no. When I was learning the sarod before, I had acrylic nails but I've never used nails that you stick on. If they're the stick-on type I think they'd end up being inconvenient/damaging my nails through putting them on/taking them off all the time. Although it's not a common technique, I'd love to find out how to make/get hold of the kind of thimbles used by the afore-mentioned player. I know they're not widely used but they might help me play again. I tried to make my own attachments but it was a bit beyond my capabilities!
plectum

Reply with quote  #4 
While going thru old threads I came across the following about Gulfam Khan
Quote:
In fact, the school that today has the closest links to the rabab, that of Karamatullah Khan, is poorly represented today. There are very few capable musicians from that school working today, and as a result, one cannot vouch for the health of this tradition. That said, their khalifa, Ghulfam Ahmed, continues the tradition of stopping the strings with bone/horn thimbles, worn over the finger tips, rather than the nails.

Here is the link http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5859

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you, plectum. Maybe I'll try and contact someone that has been taught by or played with him; I would have thought that straight forward bone thimbles would fall off. I may get there eventually! Thanks again
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.