INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
yukioarnab

Reply with quote  #1 
I started learning Sarod almost 10 years back but unfortunately a devastating bike accident (which affected my left hand badly) a week after I first touched the Sarod left me dreams shattered. For the last 5-6 years however I have recovered fully and have no problem with my hands anymore. Everytime I look a the Sarod lying unused and gathering dust I feel like crying. Only recently I decided to get it reskinned and get essential maintenance done and bring it back to a playing condition. It is an Amjad Ali Khan style Sarod.

I live in a place where there are no Sarod teachers for miles. Is there any instructional material available for absolute beginers or DVDs for basic learners? Where should I start - strumming, tuning the Sarod etc etc. In addition it would be very kind if some one guides me as to if I need to do some background study before I pick up learning Sarod once again.

Think of me as a clean slate.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Arnab Das
AlamKhan

Reply with quote  #2 
Arnab,

First of all you have to decide which school of playing you are more drawn to. The reason is because different schools have different fingering for the notes. It is best to establish your fingering from the beginning and not change after. You may make adjustments when you become more advanced but a strong foundation in finger positioning is essential. After this you may then learn a number of scales (thats) for different times of the day and practice them over and over with "da stroke" which is a down stroke. Then in "da ra" which is down up. Simple right hand techniques will then be good to practice. It is an in depth subject and one difficult to communicate through typing. I had started a thread about questions for beginning sarod players but it has been dead for quite some time now. I can of course help answer any questions in the Maihar seni style of Sarod but if you are interested in Amjad's style I am not of much help regarding fingering. Good luck to you.

Alam
yukioarnab

Reply with quote  #3 
Alam,

Thanks for your informative post. I can arrange a Maihar style sarod which is lying unused at my maternal uncle's place in Kolkata. I am very keen to start and want to get going on the basics.

Rgds/Arnab
AlamKhan

Reply with quote  #4 
Arnab,
It's not so much the sarod as it is the style in which you would like to play. You can play an Amjad style sarod using Maihar fingering and vice versa. Of course later on if you were playing in the Maihar style I would recommend using that sarod design. Please feel free to message me any questions you might have and I will do my best to help you if I am able.
aarenlainey

Reply with quote  #5 
The University of New Orleans issued the following news release:

UNO Musical Excursions will present classical Indian musician Alam Khan on Friday, November 21 at 7:30 p.m. in the UNO Performing Arts Center Recital Hall.

Sarode player Khan began performing publically in 1998 at the Spirit of India Festival celebrating the 30th anniversary of his father's music school, the Ali Akbar College of Music in San Rafael, California. The 25-stringed, lute-like sarode takes 12 years to learn and considerably more to master.
AlamKhan

Reply with quote  #6 
That UNO concert was from a year or two back actually.

Alam
anichatt007

Reply with quote  #7 
Alamji,
I heard your nice sarod playing in youtube...I have just purchased a sarod of Ali Akbar gharana..and started practicing da ra on four melody strings...I am now playing four da strokes on each string and four ra strokes on each string....I am trying to follow it in a particular rhythm...should i increase the beats of the rhythm and practice it faster?
It is my third day of practice...i can play da ra well looking st the strings...should i practice it without looking at the strings?
I have found playing ra strokes little bit tougher than da strokes..should i practice ra strokes more and more?
will be waiting to hear from you.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.