INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #1 
Sad News All

Gregg Fosse - our friend & lifelong student of sitar & all things ICM - has slipped this mortal coil
Innovator of "The Fosse" carbon fiber electric sitar & surbahar - student of many - most notably Ustd Vilyat Khan - having spent years living with & studying with the maestro. Gregg studied & worked with many maestro's over the ensuing decades to elicit their input on alternatives to find tougher as well as acoustically pleasing materials for the touring professional. 
Gregg had worked on finding the "PERFECT" alternatives to traditional sitar construction for a number of years when our paths first crossed.
I met Gregg at my dear friend & guru Patric Marks' home in the 80'
Patric at the time was most excited about Gregg's foray's into new construction techniques using fiberglass - alternative woods - shapes - designs.
Gregg continued his study of construction & materials for many years eventually introducing his line of Fosse Carbon Fiber sitars. Working with jawari master Tony Karasek he continued his development always looking for "that sound"...

Gregg retired to Mexico a few years ago & married a delightful young lady. Eating lobsters & sipping margaritas while watching the sunset on the beach (ahhhh lucky man).

Details about his demise & interment are being kept private by the family, But let's all thank this forward thinking gentleman for his unceasing work to move the instruments past where he found them & giving a lifetime of service to the search for perfection for the ICM community.

We all are grateful Gregg - happiness in the next go round.

Hamletsghost [cool]

Reply with quote  #2 
I recently saw one of his carbon fiber designs at a museum. RIP.
Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Didn't know he had gone to Mexico, last I heard from him he was in Arizona! Sad news, rest in peace....

Lars

Reply with quote  #4 
I am very saddened to hear the news. He was always very encouraging to me, and I greatly admired his passion for exploration and innovation. He used to live around these parts, and I still run into people who have "Gregg stories." He won't be forgotten. Rest easy, friend.
Sitar Fixer

Reply with quote  #5 
I had lunch with Gregg in Chicago barely a month ago. Found out about his passing on FaceBook. What a shock. What a great guy. He was a real engineer, always looking at things from that point of view and figuring how they worked and of course how they could be made to work better. I learned some good things from him. Design specs; material considerations; work ethic, too. Indeed a good guy. We shared some good times over the years working on sitars, chowing down and digging on some good music. He finally had enough of the present state this country is in and set up house in Mexico. Those days there for him were very good times. I have the pictures ! ! ! I'll sure miss him.  
Sanjeeb

Reply with quote  #6 
Sorry to hear about his demise.

nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #7 
Sorry to hear of that.  He was a colorful character on the forum with lots of interesting ideas for the instrument.  RIP.
barend

Reply with quote  #8 
Really sorry to hear this. Sad news.
rex

Reply with quote  #9 
This is terrible news.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #10 
Awww, that is sad news. 
Sorry to hear it. 
He seemed like a really interesting guy. 
For those of you who knew him personally, I am sorry for your loss.

Sreenivas

Reply with quote  #11 
Have not logged on to this forums in while.  Sorry hear about Gregg Fosse.  Tony had mentioned something about his retiring from all his pet-project(s) and moving to Mexico...    

Stay healthy and safe everybody!

-Sreenivas

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.