INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Raga_Mala

Reply with quote  #1 
I just happened to come across the YouTube channel of an uploader called priyavratdas. I came upon this video:

I had seen clips from this before but never the full hour-long concert. This uploader has tons of great vids, a 43-minute jasraj recital, a 52-minute Ravi Shankar concert, an hour-long Hariprasad Chaurasia concert.

Normally I wouldn't bring it up here, but I notice these videos have hardly ANY views, don't show up high in search results, don't seem to have high ratings. They are all of fairly good quality and are GREAT material.

So I thought us folks here at the forums could give his/her ratings a boost. Enjoy these vids.

My apologies if anyone here already knew about this channel.
PEACE!

The foolish critic follows where he's told."
-Kalidas, Malavikagnimitra I.i.2
Trans. Arthur Ryder
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Well, there went my morning, enjoying these concert vids. The Marcel Cat particularly enjoyed Ali Akbar Khan ! Good stuff here. Thanks for the heads up !

Reply with quote  #3 
WELL his/her latest uploads are called the "Collapse of Darwinism" an anti-evolution documentary. Sorry, folks.
Trans. Arthur Ryder
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Raga_Mala"
WELL his/her latest uploads are called the "Collapse of Darwinism" an anti-evolution documentary. Sorry, folks.
So generations of monotheistic Muslim musicians can (by and large) get along with generations of predominantly polytheistic Hindu musicians in India, but you can't abide this person's views (which assumedly differ from yours) on Darwin's theories? I'm sure there are plenty of areas in religion, science, and politics where I would disagree with any number of musicians I highly admire (and where they would disagree with each other), but it seems kind of irrelevant. There's probably whole reams of things certain Indian (or American, or British, or whatever) musicians believe that I don't believe, or scientific conclusions they make that I don't make. No thing but a chicken wing.
ragamala

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nicneufeld"

So generations of monotheistic Muslim musicians can (by and large) get along with generations of predominantly polytheistic Hindu musicians in India, but you can't abide this person's views (which assumedly differ from yours) on Darwin's theories? I'm sure there are plenty of areas in religion, science, and politics where I would disagree with any number of musicians I highly admire (and where they would disagree with each other), but it seems kind of irrelevant.
What makes you think this guy is a musician? The site promotes Krishna Consciousness.

Actually I remember on e time maybe early 80s I went with Mrs R to Rome, and desperate for a vegetarian meal we went to eat at a Krishna Consciousness restaurant. A young guy sat there "playing" sitar, doodling through his book of Yaman tans. Excruciating. I have had a dim view of ISKCON ever since. And almost enough to turn me off vegetarianism.

But hey, there's all sorts of us folk like Indian music. Some quite weird. ops: :twisted:
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "ragamala"
What makes you think this guy is a musician? The site promotes Krishna Consciousness.
I meant in a really broad "part of the ICM community", but no big deal. ISKCON eh? Sounds like a tradeshow! I hear you on the bad sitar player....a pet peeve of mine is folks who adopt Indian instruments or music for mystical or spiritual purposes first, and musical purposes second...third....fourth...fifth... Sitar carries with it a lot of stereotypes in this country so I've found it a little tiresome having to explain that yes, I'm learning sitar, and no, not because I do drugs, want to reach a higher mystical plane of existence, or desire to worship other gods...I just love the MUSIC. :mrgreen:

My father used to make a lot of fun of the Hare Krishnas (is it even politically correct to call them that?). Still, it couldn't have been as bad as Sri Chinmoy?!!
Raga_Mala

Reply with quote  #7 
"Abiding" has nothing to do with it, Nic. I find people who preach about those things annoying. Particularly if the preaching is ignorant and poorly put-together, designed to appeal to uneducated people, and aimed at the lowest common intellectual denominator, as that series of videos is (I watched the first 2).

I was apologizing in case anybody else was annoyed, to go to a YouTube channel I recommended and find the first slots at the top of the channel occupied by preachy pseudoscientific dreck.

He can believe whatever he wants. It doesn't even make him a bad person!

But. It is annoying.

Trans. Arthur Ryder
cream_cheese

Reply with quote  #8 
This is a great find Ragamala. Thanks very much.

CC
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.