INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
sitarkatz

Reply with quote  #1 
I finally got my sitar back from the repair shop where the main gourd was repaired for cracks.

Looks and sounds like new again!

I do have two questions;

There is some slight hazing on the French shellac in one small area and I was wondering if there is a way to polish it out to a gloss again without damaging anything so it matches the rest which is glossy?

Also, does anyone know the symbolism of the white decoration that is on the sitar around the main gourd, neck, and other areas? I mean the little circles and dots, etc.

Just me being curious.

Many thanks to all the kind folks on this forum who are always so very helpful and friendly.

Cheers! Richard
OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarkatz"
I finally got my sitar back from the repair shop where the main gourd was repaired for cracks.

Looks and sounds like new again!

I do have two questions;

There is some slight hazing on the French shellac in one small area and I was wondering if there is a way to polish it out to a gloss again without damaging anything so it matches the rest which is glossy?

Also, does anyone know the symbolism of the white decoration that is on the sitar around the main gourd, neck, and other areas? I mean the little circles and dots, etc.

Just me being curious.

Many thanks to all the kind folks on this forum who are always so very helpful and friendly.

Cheers! Richard
Could you possibly show us some close-ups? ( Not of you, , the sitar).

Reply with quote  #3 
What dya mean NOT of you???
Richard might be pretty hot?!!?!? :wink:

Nick
sitarkatz

Reply with quote  #4 
WOW!....somebody thinks I might be hot? What a compliment!

If you really want to see what I look like, go to my website for my bagpiping business at: http://www.katzwerk.com/piper.htm

I am a professional bagpiper on the side.

Anyways...so.....when I got my sitar back from repair, the French Shellac was not quite dry and when I played it and my arm on the gourd took off a small amount of the shellac and left sort of a haze.

So....is there anyway to polish it out to a gloss again?

Not a bit deal, but I would like to fix it if possible. THANKS!
kalyan

Reply with quote  #5 
hi Richard,
Sorry to hear that the finish was not dry enough I would have thought it was ready by then. But I guess the heat from the forearm dulled it. Any way I have found what works great for these types of issues is Planet Waves guitar polish they make three steps but I have found that step 1 by itself works great. http://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-Restore-Guitar-Polish/dp/B000A6ASQU just a little bit on a cotton cloth rub for a few seconds then use a clean cloth to to remove the polish. Also if you are in my neck of the woods feel free to give me a call and I will polish it back up for you

Kalyan

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #6 
Thank you, Kalyan. This is news we can use !

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sitarkatz"
I am a professional bagpiper on the side.
Bagpipes!!! Even as a kid I was so taken by the bagpipe. It continues to this day. Amazing instrument!

Bagpipes helped me immediately love shenhai!

sitarkatz

Reply with quote  #8 
Interesting you should say that, as I have always been fascinated with the sound of the sitar.

It was the sitars droning sound that, I think, actually got me interested in the bagpipes.

Very similar, yet very, very, different.

Cheers! Richard
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.