INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
povster

Reply with quote  #1 
I was trying to get my web cam setup after a few years and it has died. I need to get a new one. I have a friend I want to start doing some vin practice with via something like Skype. Good quality video and also good lower light response are key elements in what I am looking for. This would be for a Windows 7 platform. Also the ability to sit it on a low table or even screw it into a camera tripod.

I'd appreciate any recommendations/feedback on your experiences with the newer web cameras. Thanks!

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
I was trying to get my web cam setup after a few years and it has died. I need to get a new one. I have a friend I want to start doing some vin practice with via something like Skype. Good quality video and also good lower light response are key elements in what I am looking for. This would be for a Windows 7 platform. Also the ability to sit it on a low table or even screw it into a camera tripod.

I'd appreciate any recommendations/feedback on your experiences with the newer web cameras. Thanks!
Logitech seemed to make some good ones in the past, but, I've gotta be straight up with you pov, at my age... anything with less knobs, bells and switches seems just right. Logitech seems simple enough and cheap too. Anything cheaper .... perhaps you can shin-ney up and grab one of them traffic cams in your town, not only will it be free, your fellow citizens might even elect you mayor!

All kidding aside, about the only thing that I don't like about Logitech is their mountings.... they never seem to mount to anything except themselves! I don't know about anyone else, but they are the most stupidest configuaration I've ever known. But...there is man's best friend to the rescue, duct-tape!

Reply with quote  #3 
I liked OM GUY's reply. I couldn't stop laughing. But that's true.

I am happy with skype and built-in camera that comes with laptop. It's not perfect. But that's what I have. So I work with it.

Reply with quote  #4 
In a former life with a company where I was involved with the same camera tech used in webcams...I can say if they use an OmniVision CMOS chip and controller you've got a good bet. Logitech was (sort of) a competitor but they always had pretty good quality stuff, I just hated the extra software they bundled in...all you need is something that can use the UVC driver and with a decent mic...theoretically it should work without installing ANY software.

My "lesson" laptop switched from an older Lenovo to a newer HP and my Ustad commented on how much better the image was...color vividity particularly.

I can't give specific product recommendations though. Don't worry about resolution, anything over 640x480 works for video chat stuff, although the newer and better quality chips may have a higher potential resolution.

Good luck! you could always try a cheap one first...I've seen them for 20 bucks or so from TigerDirect.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.