INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Viveka3

Reply with quote  #1 
Check this one out!
That
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #2 
Assuming it were a real Paul (and it isn't) first question would be which authorized dealer did it come from? And the the second question (which would for me negate the possibility of buying it even if it were authentic) is . . . what kind of maroon owns it, and displays a photo of it with both sides of the bellows un-hinged? Anyone that stupid wouldn't have known how to maintain the instrument and has likely done it damage with such an abusive practice. It's about as appealing as a photo of a vintage Mustang with the carburetors dangling out of the engine bay suspended by a single throttle cable. I would no more buy this harmonium than I would a sitar advertised with the strings put on backwards.
Peace,
Keshav

The Prophet Mohammed

http://www.keshav-music.com
bhavan

Reply with quote  #3 
Yeah, and have a look at that fantastic scale-change mechanism !
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #4 
I hadn't read the full description and missed that tidbit. The guy who originally bought it likely has no idea how badly he was ripped off. That's the problem with so many Ebay sales. Too many are people who got badly ripped off and want some other sucker to eat their mistake.
Peace,
K

The Prophet Mohammed

bhavan

Reply with quote  #5 
AND,

"It needs neither electricity or petro to work." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #6 
Don't laugh. I used to have a sarangi that ran on diesel. It got 50 MPG (Malkauns Per Gallon).
Cheers,
K

The Prophet Mohammed

povster

Reply with quote  #7 
50 murchanas per gamut?
ragamala

Reply with quote  #8 
For us Europeans could we have a translation into kpl please?

I think a norm is about 75 kshana per laghu
kalyan

Reply with quote  #9 
Actually that looks exactly like a paul & co 3 reed NO scale change harmonium( there is no way anyone could say this is a fake from the photo) I would bet it is a good ( Authentic Paul & Co) instrument unless it has been abused. The seller clearly does not know what a scale changer is but the Paul no scale change harmoniums are among the most reliable and solidly built harmoniums one can buy. So don't be too quick to call it a scam they are just a little miss informed. Also showing the bellows opened could just be a way to show that they are not torn or blown out. and the finish is very typical of what Pauls in the U.S. look like. The buy it now is high for a used instrument considering you can get a new one for less but it looks like an honest seller to me. Here is a picture of the same model bought directly from paul and co http://www.aacm.org/shop/Harm-Paul3.html

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic
gurdip

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "kalyan"
Actually that looks exactly like a paul & co 3 reed NO scale change harmonium( there is no way anyone could say this is a fake from the photo) I would bet it is a good ( Authentic Paul & Co) instrument unless it has been abused. The seller clearly does not know what a scale changer is but the Paul no scale change harmoniums are among the most reliable and solidly built harmoniums one can buy. So don't be too quick to call it a scam they are just a little miss informed. Also showing the bellows opened could just be a way to show that they are not torn or blown out. and the finish is very typical of what Pauls in the U.S. look like. The buy it now is high for a used instrument considering you can get a new one for less but it looks like an honest seller to me. Here is a picture of the same model bought directly from paul and co http://www.aacm.org/shop/Harm-Paul3.html
I quite agree.

Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #11 
Different people will have different opinions. As far as I can tell - nobody implied that there was anything wrong with real Paul & Co. harmoniums. My opinion is largely based on the fact that the color is all wrong. We sell P&Co here at the shop and I've tuned and repaired many of them and never seen one in that light color. To say that the bellows is out as a demonstration of it's integrity is (in my not so humble opinion) stretching credibility. Leaving the bellows dangling in mid-air like intestines hanging out of a gut-shot cow would in no way demonstrate proof of anything. When you've repaired as many harmoniums as I have you will will know that leaks are rarely from the bellows. 99% of the time leaks are from cracks in the windchest or badly matched seams (as a result of warping) where the upper and lower windchest come together. And while one can't state as an absolute that most fakes get sold to credulous customers, it's been my experience that this is true in about 80% of these cases. And everything about the text accompanying the ad, screams gullible, sucker. All that combined with the fact the seller doesn't know the difference between a scale-changer and a fixed keyboard, points to a total lack of discernment on the part of the person who purchased it. On top of everything, he's asking way too much money. The ad has all the earmarks of a typical Ebay fiasco. That's what my gut tells me, and it's rarely wrong in cases like this. Sure you guys could say it's potentially authentic - but do you feel strongly enough about your opinion to buy it?
Keshav

The Prophet Mohammed

kalyan

Reply with quote  #12 
I dont mean to imply that you said there was anything wrong with Pauls I was just commenting that it at least started out as a good instrument. I agree it is a stretch about the belows but I I think that the seller just does know much about the instrument (hence the scalechange lable). On the other hand I am 99% sure the picture is of a real paul probably bought from the aacm store or one of the other dealers of real pauls in the U.S. I have seen hundreds of these over the years and am almost certain this is one. I have also seen lots of fake pauls, most do not look that authentic.

goddenmusic.com. musicianmallusa.com facebook.com/goddenmusic
Keshavdas

Reply with quote  #13 
No worries. My main concern was that the harmonium in the ad looked abused and being overpriced - I feel it's not a good risk. Not every undiscerning customer out there has been ripped off. I get trade-ins here at the shop all the time. People bring in legit, Hiren Roys with light scratches and dulled finish, having no concept of the value, asking to trade them in for well-polished instruments of a much lesser value. But mostly it's folks bringing in bekar firewood sitars and featherweight tablas believing themselves to be owners of "treasured antiques" - asking absurd prices.
Peace,
Keshav

The Prophet Mohammed

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.