INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #1 
Anyone know of a source for coils of precious metal or plated music wire. Not brass, alloys maybe? Need coils for the length not premeasured sets.

Reply with quote  #2 
Hey Queen Paula Latif:
I've got a gold-plated Pyramid MA string on my Rikhi Ram right now. Maybe a more experienced/sensitive player would disagree, but I don't notice any improvement over a steel string. I was assuming that the gold would make for smoother meending, but I can't really feel any difference. And, when I first put it on, I actually thought that it didn't sound as good as the (steel) string I took off. Maybe I'll change my mind after I put a steel string back on.
There is one thing REALLY nice about the gold string - the tips of your fingers don't turn black as with the steel wire.

AbdulLatif

Reply with quote  #3 
TK, Is it actually gold or the brass plate being hawked as Pyramid Gold?
Although getting rid of blackfinger is an improvement, my playing is sooo fast it leaves a burnt oxide on all my strings.
What I'm really interested in is drawn gold wire made with the cold tempering process. Same with silver wire. I am running down a lead on 22k gold plated violin E strings, they are reputed to emphasise the harmonics better than the standard ones.
The Mad doctors quest is to string my veen in the metals that correspond to the tones/planets in traditional Indian alchemy. I was stumped when someone said "You Crazy Cracker, stainless steel wasn't invented till the 20th C". Than I remembered that iron HAS been around for awhile. Any one got any Argyrodite??? Or astroid Germanium?
PS Paula Abdul hosts American Idol, and Paula Latif ran off with Heywood leaving me with lil AlBob and a credit card bill...... :roll: OriginalAbdul

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.