INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Cristian Jorge Amadeo Kusch

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I'm an organ student from Rome, my name is Ananda Mohan das. I find myself inclined towards indian music, as i find improvisation a more natural way to play. So i'd be interested to learn how to play instrumental hindustani and/or indian classical music as i think that's the field i could really express myself and be successful. I'm really not much of a singer, i sing in a choir and i can read and chant, but not even close to professional level. 

On the other hand i'm in 2nd year of a organ bachelor's degree so the harmonium would be not so hard for me to pick up. 

So i was wondering whether someone who knows the world of Indian music could help me understand how to get a degree in indian music, what kind of degree i need to be able to perform, which academy i could attend, ect.

Any chance someone can share some information?

thanks

Anand

Lars

Reply with quote  #2 
If you want a degree then try through a University there like BHU, etc. They turn out a lot of degrees in ICM but I doubt there's much improvisation, it's more of a mechanical thing. If you want to learn Indian music better to study with a teacher there or in Rome if one is available. ~ Lars

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars
If you want a degree then try through a University there like BHU, etc. They turn out a lot of degrees in ICM but I doubt there's much improvisation, it's more of a mechanical thing. If you want to learn Indian music better to study with a teacher there or in Rome if one is available. ~ Lars

Hi,
Thanks for reply.
Yes you see i really don't know anything about it. Whether improvisation or mechanical i'd just like to learn to become a performer. Is a degree from an university necessary to become a performer?
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #4 
of course it is not. It also isn't necessary in italy, germany or anywhere else... Maybe to be able to teach at university in europe,  but you can always perform.... 

I mean the assumption that you can make a living as an performer of indian classical music is naive, that should be clear, so that's probably not your goal so why the question?

Also improvisation is, at least at some point in your developement,  a must, not an option... 

regards
Blind Lemon Mike

Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #5 
Ravi Shankar Centre, Chankayapuri, New Delhi, India.
Classes at RIMPA (Ravi Shankar Institute for Music and Performing Arts) have resumed.  Only talented and serious students of music are accepted. Gaurav Mazumdar and Parimal Sadaphal are some of the students taking the classes.
Master classes for advanced students will be conducted by our visiting disciples of Guruji.
Until now, Anoushka Shankar, Vishwa Mohan Bhatt and Bickram Ghosh have confirmed their participation.

For further information please contact the Centre: 011- 26877242/3 and 09560760069
Sukanya Shankar will be personally conducting workshops on presentation and career prospects, and as always, will oversee all the activities at RIMPA making sure the work continued there is in sync with Guruji's music and vision.

My Dear friend Gaurav is home in Delhi right now and touring India etc for the winter season.
If you can't get through at RIMPA contact him through his Facebook page
He travels the world year round playing concerts - teaching etc & would be an exceptional guide on your journey -
PLUS
the nicest chap you ever want to meet on top of exceptional talent

Good Luck
Hamletsghost [cool]

PS: Tell him Brian Dering told you to contact .........

Reply with quote  #6 
I don't think any of my favorite artists have a degree. 
They just had great gurus. 

Why not continue your Organ degree, but get a Harmonium and take some lessons locally. 
Im sure there must be a good ICM teacher where you live.
This music isn't really a "get a degree and start to perform" kinda of music. 
It is a life long journey. 

As a living, you probably have a better chance of making a living as an organist than an ICM performer. 
Even the top ICM performers have to really work it to make a living. 
vik

Reply with quote  #7 
One can learn Indian music from YouTube and many other sources available ofcourse if you're inclined towards Indian music you may want to get a teacher there at Rome I am sure there will be available.

Reply with quote  #8 
Hamletsghost  detail sharing, great 
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.