INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Sign up Calendar Latest Topics Chat
 
 
 


Reply
  Author   Comment  
Sanjeeb

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 462
Reply with quote  #1 

Hi all,

Have been playing the sitar for about 50 years having played  a Radha Krishna, Hiron Roy and others.

For about 25 years now I have been using a Ricky Ram Sitar made by the senior Bishen Dass when he was alive and concentrated more on the playing than so much on the instrument, so to speak.

Concerning tonal quality I have been very happy with the Ricki Ram though not so much with the frets, their curves and action.

Some years ago the neck bend a little which I had to get straightened out. But the problem is recurring.

There are many knowledgeable folks in the making and availability of sitars here, so am looking for some advice / suggestion in this area in the possibility of getting a new one now, in about an year or so.

What is most important to me is:

1)  The  'even,  just and true',  action of the frets, meaning their curvature  allowing for easy, balanced and effortless pulling of meands  all the way from top to bottom evenly on all the frets with a light action up to six notes.

2)  A good balanced tonal quality.

3) Good sturdy construction and light weight.

4)  Ustad Vilayat Khan Style.     

Any advice /suggestion thrown in, is welcome.

Does anyone know about and have the contact of Shawn Sitar maker in Delhi.

 

Thanks and Regards

Sanjeeb Sircar

http://www.sanjeebsircar.com

0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,202
Reply with quote  #2 
Can't you put new frets on your RR? With a more traditional curve. Sometimes the RR frets are too curved I think. On some RR sitars they use these special curved frets. Not sure if they make meend easier or not?

Also not sure about the best sitar for you. Did you try a Barun Roy already?

By six note meends I guess you mean pulling from middle Sa (7th fret) to komal Dha? That's the highest you can meend. Some sitars can only reach to Pa. I had an early 60's RR where tivra Ma was the limit.
0
Sanjeeb

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 462
Reply with quote  #3 

Hi Barend,
thanks for the reply and input.
The neck is bending so that wont help.

Quote

'Sometimes the RR frets are too curved I think. On some RR sitars they use these special curved frets. Not sure if they make meend easier or not?' Unquote.

That's a good observation you made and are probably right about those special curved frets,  but now the neck has started bending with the passage of time.

So am really looking to get my hands on a new even better instrument.

Thanks for suggesting Barun Roy. I had gone to his father Hiren Roy in Calcutta back in the seventies and later to his son Barun.

Yes the maximum amount of meend possible on any fret.

Thanks so much.

Sanjeeb

0
barend

Avatar / Picture

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,202
Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeeb

Hi Barend,
thanks for the reply and input.
The neck is bending so that wont help.

Quote

'Sometimes the RR frets are too curved I think. On some RR sitars they use these special curved frets. Not sure if they make meend easier or not?' Unquote.

That's a good observation you made and are probably right about those special curved frets,  but now the neck has started bending with the passage of time.

So am really looking to get my hands on a new even better instrument.

Thanks for suggesting Barun Roy. I had gone to his father Hiren Roy in Calcutta back in the seventies and later to his son Barun.

Yes the maximum amount of meend possible on any fret.

Thanks so much.

Sanjeeb



ok good luck finding your dream sitar!
It will be easier when you live in India. I have no idea who is making the 'best' sitars these days in India. RR sitars are good I think but very expensive since they are popular. The quality of the Miraj makers varies. Not sure which of those is the best. I guess the only way to know is to try a lot of sitars. But here in the west we don't have that chance too often. So you have to be lucky to find a sitar that really fits your needs. But I guess that's part of the fun!
0
Tomek Regulski

Avatar / Picture

Member
Registered:
Posts: 75
Reply with quote  #5 
Mohan Lal Sharma makes great sitars. I used to have a concert teak (Kharaj Pancham) sitar from them - it did have a bit of weight to it, but then again it was teak - I imagine the tun ones are a bit lighter. This is one of the best sitars that I've owned - the only reason I sold it is that I had to downsize my collection, and at the end of the day I prefer the sound of a good Hiren/Barun sitar. I performed and taught on it extensively, and it was a joy to play each time. Very stable, full range of meend, smooth and consistent in every register. 

Another shop to look into is P & Bros - I imagine they must make a VK style sitar, and I've only heard good things about their instruments. I have not played their instruments personally, though. 
0
Lars

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 1,432
Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeeb

Hi Barend,
thanks for the reply and input.
The neck is bending so that wont help.

Quote

'Sometimes the RR frets are too curved I think. On some RR sitars they use these special curved frets. Not sure if they make meend easier or not?' Unquote.

That's a good observation you made and are probably right about those special curved frets,  but now the neck has started bending with the passage of time.

So am really looking to get my hands on a new even better instrument.

Thanks for suggesting Barun Roy. I had gone to his father Hiren Roy in Calcutta back in the seventies and later to his son Barun.

Yes the maximum amount of meend possible on any fret.

Thanks so much.

Sanjeeb



If the bend is in the middle with the high curved frets you can adjust the curvature down where needed in the lower and higher registers. This is most likely the reason for the high curves in the first place given they use various sources for their instruments. Nearly all Kolkata structures seem to get a very slight bend in the middle although there's a point where it's not acceptable of course.

__________________
http://www.raincitymusic.com
0
Sanjeeb

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 462
Reply with quote  #7 
Thanks Tomek for the reply and information.
Regards
Sanjeeb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomek Regulski
Mohan Lal Sharma makes great sitars. I used to have a concert teak (Kharaj Pancham) sitar from them - it did have a bit of weight to it, but then again it was teak - I imagine the tun ones are a bit lighter. This is one of the best sitars that I've owned - the only reason I sold it is that I had to downsize my collection, and at the end of the day I prefer the sound of a good Hiren/Barun sitar. I performed and taught on it extensively, and it was a joy to play each time. Very stable, full range of meend, smooth and consistent in every register. 

Another shop to look into is P & Bros - I imagine they must make a VK style sitar, and I've only heard good things about their instruments. I have not played their instruments personally, though. 
0
Sanjeeb

Senior Member
Registered:
Posts: 462
Reply with quote  #8 

Lars thanks you for the information and the tip about the special curved frets and bends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lars


If the bend is in the middle with the high curved frets you can adjust the curvature down where needed in the lower and higher registers. This is most likely the reason for the high curves in the first place given they use various sources for their instruments. Nearly all Kolkata structures seem to get a very slight bend in the middle although there's a point where it's not acceptable of course.
0
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print
Reply

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.