INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #1 
Listening extensively, as has been my wont of late, to the old UVK/Shankar Ghosh Darbari recording, I noted that nowhere in that immense chikari sound as he strums through the strings (either in alap or gat) was the expected komal gandhar. It sounded like he was tuned S-S-P-P. How common is that? It certainly has a full-throated sound.

Is it possibly because in Darbari, the komal gandhar is (speaking as a confused neophyte) always slightly ornamented (always seems to slide down mournfully from Ma before resting more solidly on Re)?
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #2 
For what it is worth, I have always tuned MA-SA-PA-PA-SA-SA, even when studying with UVK.
As I recall he never made objection to the lack of the GA (being tuned to PA instead) on my
sitar although he objected strongly when I removed one of the chikari ("put the chikari back
and never play without it again"). GF
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #3 
Any particular reason you've always preferred an extra Pa and no Ga? For certain raags, particularly those like Yaman or Bhupali that seem to have a lot of ga "character" I love the sound of the chikaris with the full triad going. It was one of the consolations when I lost the KP lower octave... Some raags seem incompatible with a Ga chikari...say Jog or Pilu where both are used, it just clashes horribly.

I'll have to uptune to Pa sometime and see how I like it.
fossesitar

Reply with quote  #4 
You know, it is the weirdest thing. I absolutely LOVE the sound of the GA drone
when played by anyone else, it is so sweet and gives character. But when I pick
up the sitar to play it just does not work for me. Go figure. GF
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.