INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
naad_brahma

Reply with quote  #1 

I've been downsizing my collection and as a result have decided to part ways with both of my surbahar. First and foremost I must mention these are located in Southcentral Wisconsin so shipping internationally is out of the question, and shipping domestically could be costly due to the size. I'm terrible with technology so I don't have the means upload photos here, interested parties can reach out to me via private message and I will email photos.

Surbahar 1 was made in 2016 by Radhey Shyam Sharma and fashioned out of tun wood, with the original bone bridges. Full carving including his signature fiddlehead/flowers for the peghead. It has 8 main strings, 11 tarab, the tabli is about 16.5" wide, scale-length from the back of the bridge to the nut is 39 5/8". The jawari and generally setup was performed by Tony Karasek. This is a warm and glowing surbahar, it reminds me a lot of a Kanailal veena I once has, the cluster of three chikari strings enhance that effect. It really sings best tuned at G#.  It is inclusive of a fiberglass case. Asking $1,600

Surbahar 2 is a collaborative effort. The body and pegs were obtained from Wasim Manner in Miraj, said materials were sent over to the U.S. and Tony Karasek installed pegs, frets, tarab eyelets, and bridges of his own make. The surbahar is tun with a distinctive makara carving for the headstock. It has 8 main strings, 12 tarab, the tabli is about 17" wide, scale-length from the back of the bridge to the nut is 40 7/8". The tone is clear and balanced, the tarabs are very responsive. Tunes best around A I have found. Inclusive of a fiberglass case. Asking $1,800

Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #2 
[frown][confused][frown][frown][frown][frown][bawl]

Hey Mr Ted - Hope this finds you well in all these crazy times
So sorry to see you sell these 2 magnificent instruments.
Having seen the work Tony did on them & getting hands on that Miraj beauty when you picked it up - all I can say is they are 2 roaring beasts that are excellent players as well as beautifully appointed - anyone who scores these will have a magical instrument to play & treasure.
Wish I had some extra shekels right now & at least one would be residing with me.

Take care pal
Brian [cool]

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by naad_brahma

I've been downsizing my collection and as a result have decided to part ways with both of my surbahar. First and foremost I must mention these are located in Southcentral Wisconsin so shipping internationally is out of the question, and shipping domestically could be costly due to the size. I'm terrible with technology so I don't have the means upload photos here, interested parties can reach out to me via private message and I will email photos.

Surbahar 1 was made in 2016 by Radhey Shyam Sharma and fashioned out of tun wood, with the original bone bridges. Full carving including his signature fiddlehead/flowers for the peghead. It has 8 main strings, 11 tarab, the tabli is about 16.5" wide, scale-length from the back of the bridge to the nut is 39 5/8". The jawari and generally setup was performed by Tony Karasek. This is a warm and glowing surbahar, it reminds me a lot of a Kanailal veena I once has, the cluster of three chikari strings enhance that effect. It really sings best tuned at G#.  It is inclusive of a fiberglass case. Asking $1,600

Surbahar 2 is a collaborative effort. The body and pegs were obtained from Wasim Manner in Miraj, said materials were sent over to the U.S. and Tony Karasek installed pegs, frets, tarab eyelets, and bridges of his own make. The surbahar is tun with a distinctive makara carving for the headstock. It has 8 main strings, 12 tarab, the tabli is about 17" wide, scale-length from the back of the bridge to the nut is 40 7/8". The tone is clear and balanced, the tarabs are very responsive. Tunes best around A I have found. Inclusive of a fiberglass case. Asking $1,800

Hey. What is your contact info to discuss further?
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #4 
Try sending him a private message (PM) through the forum - good luck these are two magnificent instruments owned by a really great guy & loved on by one of the greatest craftsmen there is .... that’s first hand knowledge

HG

Reply with quote  #5 
Both of the surbahar are now sold. Moderators, feel free to delete this post.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.