INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, all.

By the pix I looked at so far, it seems that the fretting (system-number-profile) in the esraj/dilruba is related (follows?) to that on sitar/surbahar ... may one assume this as correct ?

Thanks in advance.
david

Administrator
Reply with quote  #2 
done!

Peace

DC
David Russell Watson

Reply with quote  #3 
It would seem so. Look at the picture on the right side of this page http://www.chandrakantha.com/articles/indian_music/dilruba.html

David
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi, all.

DR Watson,
Thank you for the reply: I had never come close to that page before, some useful info tagged along.

D. Courtney,
Thank you for reposicioning the thread, and especially for your texts on these bowed instrument pages.

Interesting how frets are used as markers and (if I did understood it) and also they're achala, need not be moved.
So if some of the notes need not nave corresponding frets for fingering, it follows that frets 'do not really matter' , is this correct ? (ok: you wrote they are of some help to pitch ornamental finetuning control, but on some notes - the missing frets' places- this action is not possible).

And then, they seem to follow the current sitar-fret-arrangement: could it also be inferred this has been going for some time now (i.e., following the sitar fret #-increase)?

I will give it some more thought and as such, may seek help again in this regard.

Thanks again, both of You. Have fun.
yussef ali k

Reply with quote  #5 
Hi, all.
Just read D. Courtney piece on the Tar Shehnai mod and some (obvious?) questions arise:

1) Like on the Resophonic guitar, the evident volume increase (see video) seems to come accompanied by a bit of (for lack of a better word) metallic harshness, correct?

2) Has this conversion been tried on plucked strings (Any videos you may suggest?)?

3) How much does the metal attachment weighs?

4) Since sound increasing devices (upper tumba, etc) have been tried on the sitar, any feelings/comment about the end result of such an experiment would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance + Have fun.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.