INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
barend

Reply with quote  #1 
I have tied a few frets in the past but it never went smooth and always is a PITA for me.

I have watched this video from Rikhi Ram:

I can totally follow it and do the same thing until about 0:49. Then he explains it too fast and it is unclear to me.

Can someone please guide me through the steps he is making from 0:49? (in simple words please. I am a sucker in these things)

Is this correct? the new loop (B) goes through loop A. Then you take the short end of the wire and put it through loop B. Then I don't know what to do. Also I am not sure at which side the short end goes through loop B.

I have also watched the AAK store video. They use a different method but that is also not clear to me and seems more complicated.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi, Barend. I couldn't make sense of either of those vids. The method itself I don't get though it seems to be the preferred way of doing it. I figured out a totally different way of doing it that allows for continual tension on the threads while tying, allows for adjustable knot placement so they all form a straight line and can be set so the thread ends don't get hung up in the peg holes. All I can say is to do the same - diddle with the spool of thread and experiment until you devise a technique that works for you. Some fun, eh ! ? !

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Sitarfixer"
Some fun, eh ! ? !
No not really. I hate doing it! Rather spend my time on playing....
Spend 1,5 hour on it last night and the result was still not great. Hard to get a really tight fit.

Problems start to arise the moment that I have to pull the wires (after 0:49 in the video). Then I am confused if I do it right.

I also found the charts of Scott Hackleman. Very hard to see from the drawings how he actually does it. But it seems to be the same method as in the RR video only the loop is at the right side of the fret instead of the left (which also confuses me).

Hope someone can help me a bit further and explain the last steps from that RR video.
katyrow

Reply with quote  #4 
I'm certainly no expert, but the traditional method of tying off has always seemed needlessly complicated to me. After the last pass under the neck, I just run the thread over the top of the slot from left to right, then under the fret from right to left, and pull it taunt until I hear a click. Then with both ends of the thread exiting from the same side of the fret I tie a knot tight to the side of the fret where it meets the neck, with no loop at all, and clip off the excess. Never had a problem with doing it this way and it's fast and easy. The only difference that I know of is cosmetic. There may be an advantage to the traditional method that I don't understand, of course. It's said to be "adjustable," but I've never known what that is supposed to mean. Further explanation from the experts would be appreciated!
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #5 
A rough description of how I tie these little bastards :

I reel out from the thread spool a length of thread that equals the length from the nut to the last fret. Draw up the thread so that I have equal lengths of thread pinched in my left thumb and finger. Set that pinch point of thread into the meend side of the fret slot. Hold the fret where you want it with the left hand thumb and finger. Draw both threads under the back of the neck. Cross the threads on the peg side fret slot. Draw those threads back again to the meend side and cross the threads on that side fret slot. Draw the threads back one more time to the peg side. Cross the left thread of the two into the fret slot. You now have 5 threads on the back of the neck. Pull up both threads and tie a simple knot. That simple knot can be moved up or down so you can position it where you want it along and above the peg line. Double tie that knot to lock it down. Now bring the short thread remaining around, under and back around the fret. Snap it under the fret so that you have that thread now in place by the tied knot. Tie another simple knot. That draws all the threads together at the knot. Two more simple knots does it. Clip off the excess thread and touch the thread ends and knot with a small drop of crazy glue. Eee Ba Dee Ba Dee; That's all folks ! ! !

Reply with quote  #6 
ok, great input so far! Thanks a lot

I am going to try both Katyrow en Tony's method.
If someone could tell me how the last steps of the RR method go then I have three methods to try
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.