INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
bhilaj51

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi, i would just like to say i am now offering my experience of Tabla by way of lessons on Youtube in order to give something to future Tabla students - I have seven videos at the moment and here is a link to Lesson number one - these are generally for students who know how to play the strokes and bols - Peace ----
Luistabla

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "bhilaj51"
Hi, i would just like to say i am now offering my experience of Tabla by way of lessons on Youtube in order to give something to future Tabla students - I have seven videos at the moment and here is a link to Lesson number one - these are generally for students who know how to play the strokes and bols - Peace ----
bhilaj51: THANK YOU!! you
bhilaj51

Reply with quote  #3 
Hi Luis, thanks for your comment, I'm not such a great player but just do what i do, so hard to get to the level of the top players who were (more or less) born into it , i started in my early 20's but i have done a lot of searching & Riyaz , I'm not sure which video you saw of me and i dont really analyse my playing , maybe you mean the kherewa one were to be honest i just improvised on the theme ---------- Dhin - : naDhin : ge tin : nage : Gete : nadhin : gete : nage ?
Luistabla

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Hi Luis, thanks for your comment, I'm not such a great player but just do what i do, so hard to get to the level of the top players who were (more or less) born into it , i started in my early 20's but i have done a lot of searching & Riyaz , I'm not sure which video you saw of me and i dont really analyse my playing , maybe you mean the kherewa one were to be honest i just improvised on the theme ---------- Dhin - : naDhin : ge tin : nage : Gete : nadhin : gete : nage ?
I think i already realised that tabla is a long way to go! but i also never meant to play in concerts or anything, i also play out of love anyway, pros or no pros, i like your playing very much, there is something in your expression, your ressonance or something, i can
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #5 
Excellent Excellent Stuff - !
We need more resources like this on the Internet ! Thank you so much for sharing!!

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #6 
Dear Bhilaj-ji
I went through some more of your videos and they are Superb -
there is a lot of material there - so slowly will get through it on my 'to do list'

Firstly I wanted to thank you for sharing your heartfelt experiences in tabla. I most most loved the intros in your videos - where you would talk about your experience - and encourage riyaz and practice, etc

Few on this earth are blessed to have tabla in their life - and its inspiring to see you in your videos - !

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
bhilaj51

Reply with quote  #7 
Luistabla , yes that is the kherawa video and the kherawa i play is what i wrote then after that everything is based around
Dhi Nu Dha te re ke te dha te re ke te or Dhinu genu dhate reke tedha tere kete just played fast & remember Nu is played with the 4th finger of the right hand on the tabla/dayan if your'e right handed & the opposite if your Left handed of course, So if the thumb is the 1st finger then count along and play nu with the 4th and this is how you play dhinu genu fast in kaida rela. I will put a bol on youtube soon with this. so just play around with those bols and repeat dhinu genu and mix up with dha terekete Apart from that i dont do much else on that video clip except theka and katin katin played successively until i run out of steam !
bhilaj51

Reply with quote  #8 
Tablabeatz, thanks for your support for what i give, it helps me want to give more, its time a lot of students out there just got the nitty gritty and there is a lot less "competitive" secrecy, as far as i'm concerned if you practice and become a nice player and more importantly your own player with your vibe all the better and one can only get good at tabla with dedication and riyaz BUT you need to know the right stuff to practice and cut out a lot if stuff you dont want to waste your time on because it wont be practically useful & there is alot of that for sure ! I mean there are a lot of tukras and chakradars etc etc that are mathematically and bol wise hard to master and unless you intend to solo or accompany dance then i wouldnt waste my time and concentrate on the basics like theka(s) as many 4 /8beat rhythms you can find and 3/6 beat rhythms , also kaida (the nice ones) kaida real (with dhinu genu) & rela dha- tereketetaketerkete x 2 then dha- tereketetake and yes some tehai's chakradars that are not too difficult etc - but then again thats just me & each to their own
Luistabla

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Luistabla , yes that is the kherawa video and the kherawa i play is what i wrote then after that everything is based around
Dhi Nu Dha te re ke te dha te re ke te or Dhinu genu dhate reke tedha tere kete just played fast & remember Nu is played with the 4th finger of the right hand on the tabla/dayan if your'e right handed & the opposite if your Left handed of course, So if the thumb is the 1st finger then count along and play nu with the 4th and this is how you play dhinu genu fast in kaida rela. I will put a bol on youtube soon with this. so just play around with those bols and repeat dhinu genu and mix up with dha terekete Apart from that i dont do much else on that video clip except theka and katin katin played successively until i run out of steam !
thank you very much for the explanation, i apreciate it a LOT!

I love this rhythm, i don
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Tablabeatz, thanks for your support for what i give, it helps me want to give more, its time a lot of students out there just got the nitty gritty and there is a lot less "competitive" secrecy, as far as i'm concerned if you practice and become a nice player and more importantly your own player with your vibe all the better and one can only get good at tabla with dedication and riyaz BUT you need to know the right stuff to practice and cut out a lot if stuff you dont want to waste your time on because it wont be practically useful & there is alot of that for sure ! I mean there are a lot of tukras and chakradars etc etc that are mathematically and bol wise hard to master and unless you intend to solo or accompany dance then i wouldnt waste my time and concentrate on the basics like theka(s) as many 4 /8beat rhythms you can find and 3/6 beat rhythms , also kaida (the nice ones) kaida real (with dhinu genu) & rela dha- tereketetaketerkete x 2 then dha- tereketetake and yes some tehai's chakradars that are not too difficult etc - but then again thats just me & each to their own

Bhilaj-ji you are absolutely right - there is too much secrecy in Tabla and it shouldn't be that way. Tabla is one of the most beautiful instruments out there and it should be celebrated - not kept secret -
You're also right about practicing the important/USEFUL stuff - I really liked your bayan fingering lesson/practice and will definitely give it a shot. I do find my bayan fingering is weak - and this is definitely exploited when I try to speed up - I think that lesson will help me lots - Thank you and Namaskar.

Acelga

Reply with quote  #11 
Hi Bhilaj51,
thanks for the very good information! I am watching all your videos and of course suscribed.
I agree on the "secrecy" part and I appreciate very much that you give real, useful info and advise people on not wasting time!
pbercker

Reply with quote  #12 
I've just downloaded lessons 1-7, and while I've only perused them they look marvelously more comprehensive than the standard utube video tabla lessons.

I noticed that you played a bayan that was given to you by one of my favorite tabla players, namely Mahapurush Misra.

I've been a long time fan of Mahapurush Misra - I have a small film clip of him playing at

It's the only live clip of him that I've ever seen anywhere which I downloaded from the web sometime in mid 90s.. I've since scouted high and low for more for many years now and have turned up nothing. Might you by chance know where this short clip comes from, and is more available anywhere on this planet?!

I also have a short tabla solo on soundcloud from Mahapurush Misra in rupak taal - from a cassette I bought over 25 years ago that made me fall in love with the tabla. You may well be familiar with it.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Bhagi

Reply with quote  #13 
Great videos.
I am sure your tabla gurus would be proud.

Protest Warrior sign.
bhilaj51

Reply with quote  #14 
Pascal , i dont actually know where that clip is recorded , probably in America in the 60's , i mean not a lot of folks had filming equipment back in those days and any film of top Indian musicians are all gems ----
--- of course you tube has clips and recordings of Mahapurush and if you go to 3'40" of this one you will see & hear him with Nikhil at their best, He also did those wonderful connossieur Society records with Ali Akbar Khan in the 60's which must be hard to find now & to think i used to have most of them but they have been borrowed and never returned AAAARRGH. Pandit Mahapurush Misra was a beautiful man and very refined & i am grateful that i was given a chance to spendtime with him and sit on stage with him & go to his house for tea & a chat. He shunned the limelight in a humble manner but he also acted as a "Union" leader/foreman at big concerts and other tabla players would ask him if he could get them more payment ie i was at a concert and not to mention names the star melodic player was getting 45.000 rupee and the tabla player 800 & the tabla player pleaded with Mahapurush if he could get the "Star" to pay him (the other tabla player , not Mahapurush) 1000 rupee, which he did --Ce La Vie
Bhagi

Reply with quote  #15 
Just a heads up. Those Connoisseur Series records have been re-issued as CD's.

You can buy them here :

http://www.ammp.com/catalog.html

Also, they are some of the best recordings of ICM ever. They were recorded in a nice acoustic venue with open reel tapes running at 15 inches per second.

Protest Warrior sign.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.