INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 3      1   2   3   Next
anahad

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi
I am new to this forum and Tabla. I have been trying to learn for a year I want to start a thread for the beginners only. Like positioning of fingers. What stages are you people in. What kaydas are you people learning. how to accompany etc. etc.
Please feel free to respond as we can all encourage and learn from each other becuse I think the sheer amount of learning required to begin can be very intimidating.

Reply with quote  #2 
It's been said a million times before, but I'll say it again....Get a Teacher/Guru! You can't learn tabla technique on a internet forum. You will not do yourself or the tabla justice. The best thing to do is find a teacher close to you. You may have to drive a ways or hop a plane once a year to a tabla workshop or something, but believe me, it will be a faster and more valuable to you than trying to figure out hand placement on this forum. If the beggining technique is not learned properly, it will make everything after way more difficult if not impossible.

RD
anahad

Reply with quote  #3 
Thanks partner. My friend I didn't say I dont have a guru, I am just trying to get some people of similar level who are facing similar problems so that it will be more fun working and figure things out together rather than a dry punishing experience.
To discuss things from beginner perspectives.

Reply with quote  #4 
Anahad,

I have been playing for about four years now, but I still consider myself a beginner. I would like to help in any way I can, as these forums have proven to be very useful for me in the past. Even when you have a guru, there is no harm in hearing another opinion on technique/composition etc. Ask away!

Peace,

-HK
sada

Reply with quote  #5 
hi

One big adwise for bigners,they should stick to teen taal theka.Play this theka as many time as you can.Every bol should come very clear.Start with slow and then advance to next speed.
It is very hard,after a while you might want to play compplex composition,but my advawise will be stick to teen taal theka.WHENN YOU CAN PLAY THIS THEKA CLEAR IN DIFFERENT SPEEDS,big part for begginers is done.giv at least three months to this only.
After that let me know more adwise will come

Sada
anahad

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks Sada, HeartKore and most welcome.
Sada I think your advice is very sound this is what I roughly do in my regular practice.

1. 20 mins. : Exercise Basic bols.
2. 30 mins. : Kaydas and paltas that my teacher is teaching.
3. 10 mins : Teental Theka.

Unfortunately I have a very demanding job (computer Programmer) and I am not able to give more than an hour regularly though on weekends I am sometime able to stretch to 2/3 hours. My purpose is to be able to accompany gajals/Bhajans among friends and family gatherings.
What are your schedules. Do tell the details of your pattern as I did. Also what I am very interested in knowing is how do you start practicing accompanyment. Did you guys selected some vocalist /Instrumentalist and started practicing together or what ?

Reply with quote  #7 
as warming up play the following pattern in different speeds
- Dha TeTeKa-TeTeKa | Ta TeTeKa TeTeKa
sada

Reply with quote  #8 
hi again

play 3taaltheka normal and then change to Dha dhina gena dha/ dhage dhina gena dha/dhage tina kena ta/take dhina gena dha
When some body can play these bols clear in diff. speeds lot is achieved.
Try to caunt bols like One Two Three andFour in stead of dha dhin dhin dha.it will come after you have a good comand of bols automatecally.
In this fourom i already given diff. songs along with there thekas.they are just few thekas keep playing them at least 10 minute without breaking or slowing down the rthem.
have fun

SADA
mbsobat

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sada"
hi again

play 3taaltheka normal and then change to Dha dhina gena dha/ dhage dhina gena dha/dhage tina kena ta/take dhina gena dha
When some body can play these bols clear in diff. speeds lot is achieved.
Try to caunt bols like One Two Three andFour in stead of dha dhin dhin dha.it will come after you have a good comand of bols automatecally.
In this fourom i already given diff. songs along with there thekas.they are just few thekas keep playing them at least 10 minute without breaking or slowing down the rthem.
have fun

SADA
Can you give us that link? Please... Thanks
evening84

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "sada"
hi again

SADA
Hi Sada,

Thanks. This dugun of the theka does sound very nice in a whole range of speeds -

Dha Dhin Dhin Dha/ Dha Dhin Dhin Dha/
Dha Tin Tin Ta/ Ta Dhin Dhin Dha

play the dugun thrice :

Dha dhina gena dha/ dhage dhina gena dha/
dhage tina kena ta/take dhina gena dha

and top it off with :

Kat DhaaaN DhaaN Dhaa S
Kat DhaaaN DhaaN Dhaa S
Kat DhaaaN DhaaN/

(The DhaaaN here is the sur Dha with N played on the syahi)

Dha Dhin ....

sada

Reply with quote  #11 
hi
Here is simple theka for most dara songs.

Dha dhin dhin /Taa tin tin
play along with this lagghi.DHage dhina gena/taage tina kina

And for most kherwa songs play just theka.

Dhasge nati nake dhina

sada
anahad

Reply with quote  #12 
Some time back sada posted a very helpful entry stating thekas for some very good form. The first song he mentioned was
tum pear ka sager ho (this songs theka is daghe nate nake dhina)
I think this information will suffice to most of the people here but for the beginners thread can one of you please elaborate it in very specific details mentioning all the details like
Starts at(Mukhra.).
how to start with what.
Mukhra Ends at
Main Theka starts At (SAM)
Take cycles so that sam resolves at following lyrics.
The filler while change of stanza
Play this to end the song

Reply with quote  #13 
In India I devoted the first two hours of practice daily to Tintal theka, Dhati, Dhatete, and Dhatirakita in turn (in other words about a half-hour of each at least). For one hour's practice, I would break it into fifteen minutes of tintal FIRST (not last, anahad!), going from vilambit with no embellishments to madhya and drut, then fifteen minutes each of the three primary beginner kaidas:

Dha Dha ti Dha Dha Dha tin na...

Dha Dha te te Dha Dha tin na...

Dha Dha tira kita Dha Dha tin na...

This is a very nice, methodical way of opening up the hand every day and developing the first critical steps in hand/wrist balance. I feel that this is the practice every beginner should do daily before moving on to more difficult material. You could spend all fifteen minutes playing each theme only with no variations, but if this is boring then I'd stick to three or four variations of each only and be sure to get them nice and tight. I'd also like to add that there's no shame to playing so-called 'beginner' kaidas! These are excellent compositions. I'm told Ahmed Jaan Thirakwa played the tirakita kaida above so well you could not believe it. (and if you don't practice them now you'll just have to do it later! No one becomes a tabla player without playing these compositions well! )
sada

Reply with quote  #14 
hi everybody

Sada again

During song accomnping in kherwa in second line you can play just this easy duggan (in theka time play this two times)

Dha tina nake dhina(fast)and with this tihai come to sum.

tiha
i bedam:terekete dhatere ketedha terekete DHA

OR.dinagina dhadhina ginadha dhinagina DHA

till next time

SADA
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #15 
Newly published: "A Study of Tabla" by Pt. Samir Chatterjee $100.00

http://tabla.org/stbooks.html

I have seen this book and the accompaning DVD (2.5 hrs.) and I highly recommend it for beginners and for those who do not have access to a regular teacher within traveling distance - for those this book would be their second essential investment after purchasing a set of tablas.
All of the compositions (there is a wealth of them here in all of the major taals and forms) are very clearly notated, and the DVD instruction is the best on the market currently. Also included on the DVD are easy-to-follow examples of accompaniment for instrument and vocal and a tabla solo by Pt. Chatterjee with Pt. Ramesh Mishra on sarangi. In the book here is also an excellent biography section of 100 of the major tabla Ustads and Pandits from past and present. This book is well worth the price.

A.

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.