INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
povster

Reply with quote  #1 
I know there are some string-meisters out there. I have been seeking some flatwound strings in bronze/phosphor or brass in a length long enough for surbahar and similar instruments. I have tried round wound but although it has a desired growl it creates that screech when sliding down the string. Just not tolerable. The one flat wound I do use (on my vin - this is not a vin post so please do not move it there) is about .050" , growls like the devil and has no slide screech.

So any thoughts on where to obtain flat wound in brass or bronze? Heck, will even try the white metal (whatever it is). Looking for gauges around .025", .032", .036" and .040".

Thanks!!!

John

Reply with quote  #2 
Acoustic Bass Guitar strings are available in flat wound phos bronze, they're quite rare though. Never seen them in brass. As far as gauge is concerned, a set of "lights" usually has the lightest gauge at around 0.045", but I'm sure I've seen lighter. The scale length of an acoustic bass is easy long enough to fit a Surb'.
I've seen a Surb with a regular steel/nickel round wound string on it. At Trippy's house, if I remember right.... That sounded sweeeeeet.

There is is such a thing as half-round strings....

The main benefit of guitar strings is, if you use a decent maker like D'Addario or Thomastik, they're EXTREMELY well made. :mrgreen:

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #3 
Re round vs flat-wound, I tried the flat wound but maybe the actual strings I tried were not very good & didn't want to sit flat on the surbahar bridge very well
I agree with Pov about the screech but can we not use a 'fast-fret' kind of lub on this type of round-wound?

Nick
mike hooker

Reply with quote  #4 
i trick i learned from my guru. you can use an abrasive polish, or paste to wear down the winding and get rid of the squeak. look for " lapping compound", used to fit two pieces of machined metals together. an easy purchase is at pretty much any auto parts store, ask for valve lapping compound. put in on a rag, and just start working the string through it. the valve compound is pretty abrasive. you can use a finer compound to really polish the string after the valve compound. shoot me a PM , i'll send some compounds we use at my job, as you have been ultra generous to me .
westsea

Reply with quote  #5 
Karuna Tanpura Double Winding strings are good.
Try sending Monoj Kumar Sardar and email, telling him the gauges you want.
http://www.monojkrsardar.com/
danielj

Reply with quote  #6 
Hi all Interesting posts...apropriate as i just acquire a 'not too bad' cheapie surbahar at a very good price. The low sa string is the usual solid bronze. I assume that folks are hoping to get more punch out of a steel core string.

On my slide veenas I use D Addario flattops phos bronze; they are very noise free. The longest one available are for baritone guitar...dont know if that would be long enough for a surb.

on the JustStrings website, under single strings D addario, they also have stainless or nichil flatwounds under the bass guitar section. they should be long enough, altho I have not yet tried the nichil.

another option might be a smooth double wound cello string ....anyone tried that

blessings Dan
povster

Reply with quote  #7 
Say, thanks for the tips everyone. If anyone has more please do post them. I will be pursuing the above suggestions.
povster

Reply with quote  #8 
Well I emailed D'Addario (thanks Danielji) and they replied very quickly. Unfortunately, the longest ones are wound to 39 1/2" and the core trimmed to 41". Just too short.

The folks at the Ali Akbar College Store are checking out the Karuna tampura strings. I use a thick flatwound tampura string on the vina nd surbahar and it works great. So some hope there.

I also have a couple of the .025 round wound that DO sound great on my Carnatic veena (string/tuned as a rudra vin) and am looking forward to trying the lap compund on them.

I'll keep folks informed and thanks again and still, if any more suggestions please post them!

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.