INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
nikhilwannabee

Reply with quote  #1 
Can anyone recommend how to best acheive the flattened notes komal Ga and komal Dha (ati-komal) for playing Darbari Kanada? Should I move the frets, meend up from the note, or lower detune the strings? Also, what is meant by vakra, in a twisted fashion? Thanks if anyone can tell me how this beautiful music is played.
panchamkauns

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nikhilwannabee"
Thanks if anyone can tell me how this beautiful music is played.
This question is too difficult for me! Anyone?

Reply with quote  #3 
If you need to alter the pitch for, say, an ati komal re adjust the fret. The frets are adjustable for this reason. If you try detuning the string everything else is going to be messed up.

As far as vakra, others may be better versed than me but basically it is when a pattern does not follow a 1-2-3-4 sequence. For example, a descending phrase G-M-R-S would be considered vakra while descending phradse M-G-R-S would not.

trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
The GA/MA RE meend for Darbari, also the Dha/Ni Pa, actually start BETWEEN both GAs & both DHAs, hovering a little before going up to MA or Ni komal & down to RE or PA respectively.

This is why Darbari can be difficult to play without a good teacher.

Nick
nikhilwannabee

Reply with quote  #5 
Thank you both, it is incredibly helpful. Please believe me though, I would love to have a teacher! Sadly, I have work here that does not allow me to travel easily, but I would gladly welcome a competent teacher that is in or near my town (I live in Bloomington, IN.) If you are a teacher nearby that reads this, please send me a message. Until then, I will continue to play (though I was told that it would only ruin me and me make it impossible to teach me correctly). And I definitely appreciate the more experienced players on this site who feel that beginners are worth helping.
princessjesusbopeep

Reply with quote  #6 
iguess a little offtopic butwhat does "ati"mean ops:
cosiveseen itelsewhere
namelyiguess a ustad vilayat khan khamaj recordingwhere theres an ati-jor listedas well ashere as "ati-komal"
povster

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "princessjesusbopeep"
iguess a little offtopic butwhat does "ati"mean ops:
cosiveseen itelsewhere
namelyiguess a ustad vilayat khan khamaj recordingwhere theres an ati-jor listedas well ashere as "ati-komal"
Ati just means basically "very". Komal re is re flat. Ati komal re is a very flat re. Meaning it is more flat than the regular re flat (komal re).

So

Komal Re = Flat Re
Ati Komal Re = very Flat Re

princessjesusbopeep

Reply with quote  #8 
thanks
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.