INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
CheesecakeTomek

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello friends,

The time has come to replace my Ma peg, as the current one has become warped. I've got a purrty replacement piece from Lars, and now am faced with the task of getting it down to size, length and width-wise. So I ask all of you who are savvy to the tech side of sitar- what is your favorite way of going about this, making sure to preserve an even roundness and getting the peg to conform to both contact points?

Many thanks,
Tomek
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #2 
Assuming you're right handed, hold the peg handle in your left hand with the shaft aimed right. Take a flat medium file and go across the top of the shaft and also stroke it down towards the tip, ( the peg ! That is the peg, Ah say ! ) Rotate Mr. peg towards you and work the next section. You can even rotate the shaft as you're working the file. Do all this lightly. Place the peg in the hole frequently to check your progress. You're looking for a matching height to the other pegs and even wear around the contact point to the neck. Better to have a little loosness on the tip end. If that tip grabs and not the handle side, you can twist the shaft in two. I've seen it done. Main grip must be on the handle side. When it looks pretty close to complete, switch to some medium sand paper. Always check your work. Have fun. Total time should be about 10 minutes. Drill the hole for the string close to the collar so that if you use the old standard tab down method of attatching the string to the peg, you won't have that string end scribing a circle on the neck around the peg hole. Seen that too many times as well.

Reply with quote  #3 
Great, sounds good. One question- Since this is for the baj, the peg is currently far too long. Should I first cut it down to approximate length and then begin working the width, or hold off until I get it fitting decently?

Many thanks,
Tomek
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
For convenience and practical working, you could cut off the shaft about 1" or so longer than necessary. When you've got the peg working the way you want it and the height matches the other, Mark the tip of the shaft at the base of the neck, remove the peg and cut on the line. Actually, cut 1/16" inside of that mark as when baby is all strung up and the peg is "really" in there, it will sit with the tip just slightly recessed. " Nice" ! You might also match the first string peg the same way.
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.