INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
ntac

Reply with quote  #1 
Dear Friends
I am a beginner tabla enthusiast based in California very much enjoying learning the beautiful rhythms of this wonderful instrument. I am currently practicing on a borrowed old set and would like to purchase my own soon. After considerable research I have a shortlist which includes the following sets:

http://www.kalakendar.com/products/Tabla-Set-Mukta-Das-Premium-%28Natural%29.html

http://www.aacm.org/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=73_98&products_id=341

http://cgi.ebay.com/COPPER-TABLA-4-KG-HARMONIUM-SITAR-NAAL-PAKHAWAJ-MRIDANG-/120617318242?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c155a3762 - Excellent value for money but a bit cautious about ordering direct from India.

Any comments, advice will be much appreciated. This has probably been covered before somewhere in this forum but could not locate. Grateful for your guidance.

Namaste!

Nicholas.
deep

Reply with quote  #2 
If you live near Bay area, I would suggest you to visit AACM and pick the one you like. You will definitely like the Calcutta sets they have.
annamalayaar

Reply with quote  #3 
contact upendra...he make great tabla at good price...i'm happy of his sets...

ask for something special for your first set...like particular wood like KHAIR available from upendra..

No amount of learning can teach one to give up the ego.The best course is to catch hold of what is real, without any support.He who is fully conscious is really God. He is the real nature of one's own true state.The experience is silence,it cannot speak.
stassy

Reply with quote  #4 
Hey, I'm just wondering if you ended up with the Mukta Das Premium set, or found any other info on it? I had originally ordered a different set but kala kendar is sending me that one because of a shipping delay (they changed it without actually asking me), so i'd love to hear if you have an reviews of it... thanks!!!
jmain

Reply with quote  #5 
I am looking at getting my first tabla as well and would be interested in which you chose as well. (Sassy, I also caught your thread and was wondering how it turned out with the MD set). Please post some follow up when able.

I'm basically looking at the MD or Mumbai sets from Kala Kendar right now. Others in the running, but I think one of these would work best for me as a beginner and living in DC (US).

Thanks for all the information on the forum!! :!:
Dhani_

Reply with quote  #6 
I would not recommend Mukta Das for your first set, simply for the reason that although they sound incredible, the pudis are made of deer skin, which is rather expensive and does not hold up well under use. The lifespan of an average MD dayan is about 2 1/2 months, which is rather inconvenient if you're on a limited budget. As a matter of personal preference, I really like the Mumbai sets. They have somewhat of a dull sound at first, but the sound gradually opens as the syahi loosens up. They are also very durable and can last for up to 15 years or so, if properly cared for.

The sets from AACM are good, but not consistent in quality. I would recommend going there yourself rather than ordering online, if possible. They have an extremely diverse selection with reasonable prices. If you find a suitable one, you can't go wrong with their Regular sets.

Dhani
rajpuranik

Reply with quote  #7 
As an additional option, WorldMusicGuru now has professional/concert level Mumbai tablas available for purchase on our website:

http://worldmusicguru.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage-ask.tpl&product_id=91&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=118

The tablas are sourced from respected makers like Suresh and Sadanand, but more importantly, each tabla set will be personally selected, inspected, tested, and tuned by a high-level tabla player teaching on the website.

Shipment can be made to most countries in North America and Europe, primary difference will be the customs duties and VAT, payable separately.

This is just an alternative to the perfectly fine sources known on this forum.

Regards,

jmain

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Dhani_"
I would not recommend Mukta Das for your first set, simply for the reason that although they sound incredible, the pudis are made of deer skin, which is rather expensive and does not hold up well under use. The lifespan of an average MD dayan is about 2 1/2 months, which is rather inconvenient if you're on a limited budget. As a matter of personal preference, I really like the Mumbai sets. They have somewhat of a dull sound at first, but the sound gradually opens as the syahi loosens up. They are also very durable and can last for up to 15 years or so, if properly cared for.

The sets from AACM are good, but not consistent in quality. I would recommend going there yourself rather than ordering online, if possible. They have an extremely diverse selection with reasonable prices. If you find a suitable one, you can't go wrong with their Regular sets.

Dhani
Not trying to take over the thread, just wanted to say thanks for the input.

Are the pudis really deerskin on the premium MD set?

I am a beginner on tabla and I see others asking the same questions about calcutta and mumbai pudis. Based on my readings, I would think the MD (Calcutta) would work best for me. I am mainly a bass player and have a pretty strong right hand, but I also worry about humidity. I'm in DC (US) and have a newborn. So we are running the heat a lot and it can be dry inside. I can notice the effect on my bass guitars (and upright bass). Is this a concern with the "Calcutta" style (thinner) pudis?

As always, thanks for your consideration.
ntac

Reply with quote  #9 
Dear Friends

Thank you for all your replies and very useful comments throughout the forum which have been an invaluable source of information. Since my original post, and more research, I am hoping to get a set from Upendra at Sohum Enterprises. A search on this forum reveals the consistently positive reviews he has received for his products and customer service which I can echo through my personal contact with him. I would encourage you to look at his products before making a final decision. When I eventually own a set I will be happy to post a more detailed review / pictures.

Namaste.
jmain

Reply with quote  #10 
ntac, it is good to hear that you have made a decision. I aslo appreciate you letting me jump in your thread, as you captured where I am at as well.

Dhani, thanks for the indepth response to my questions.

I am also now leaning towards getting a set from Upendra. Let us know how it all turns out. And thank you for sharing your thread.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.