INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
neela sangeeta

Reply with quote  #16 
Coconut Oil has a property of actually drying the skin, which makes it good for us. It hardens the callus. Almond oil, as a skin softener might not be so good...

Neel
Aanaddha

Reply with quote  #17 
So, what do/did the big guys use ??

Reply with quote  #18 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "neela
Coconut Oil has a property of actually drying the skin, which makes it good for us. It hardens the callus. Almond oil, as a skin softener might not be so good...

Neel
I found that too hard a callous causes problems. A year and a half or 2 years ago my callous was SO hard it made playing difficult and caused clacking sounds. It also prevented me from forming a new groove in the right place. it was too hard for the string to stay in one place and form a groove. My solution created a bit of a furor here as I ended up sanding the callous down a little bit and actually GENTLY sawing a new starter groove in the uber-hard callous just to get it going. (I am NOT recommending you take a sqw to your callous! I just did a slight groove just beneath the surface of the callous and not hitting real dermis.)

Since then I have been letting my callous get more exposure to moisture than previously.

povster

Reply with quote  #19 
Quote:

Neel
I found that too hard a callous causes problems. A year and a half or 2 years ago my callous was SO hard it made playing difficult and caused clacking sounds. It also prevented me from forming a new groove in the right place. it was too hard for the string to stay in one place and form a groove. My solution created a bit of a furor here as I ended up sanding the callous down a little bit and actually GENTLY sawing a new starter groove in the uber-hard callous just to get it going. (I am NOT recommending you take a saw to your callous! I just did a slight groove just beneath the surface of the callous and not hitting real dermis.)

Since then I have been letting my callous get more exposure to moisture than previously.

Agape

Reply with quote  #20 
Oil is good but should be used sparingly to reduce friction, sparingly because if used too much in inhibits the "growth" of callouses. Also I find Olive (as was mentioned) or normal cooking oils work the best. Baby oil, for me, really makes my fingers kinda "stick" to the string. Its actually kinda strange, it reduces friction, but causes another type of friction of its own. As for lip balm. Interesting. I would think the residue would make the string ring less, but I have never tried it.
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Interesting. The reason I use coconut oil is because, by chance, I was able to get a couple of big jars full for free. I like it just fine, but I don't use much of it. Several years ago I rubbed a modest amount onto a small piece of cloth that I store in a docorative woman's makeup compact. I haven't even added more oil to it in all this time but it still does the job for me.

I heard that some machine shops stored metal tools in tubs of coconut oil to inhibit rust. I'm hoping my strings have longer life because of this property but I wouldn't know this to be a fact.

-Allen

Reply with quote  #22 
COCONUT FOR ME!!!

It's a wonderful natural oil that takes a LOOOOOng time to gunk up if you wipe down after playing. I am a great proponant of natural oils. I have tried quite a few and keep going back to coconut. I have worked off & on with a blend using a coconut oil base and other natural oils that if it works I will report to the forum.
If your strings or frets do get a little gunked up apply a little orange oil cleaner/polish to a cloth & clean. It cuts right thru & will not damage your finish should a little get on the wood. It is also good for cleaning fingerprints off your french polish without scratching the finish.
We had a discussion months back on this subject which you could referance. There was much discussion on industial lubricants & makes for good reading should you wish to look in the archives.
Slip sliding away - de coconut oil way mon :roll:

Hamlets(Mr Natural)ghost 8)

Reply with quote  #23 
I was embarassed to mention it but I'm using Badger Balm (virgin olive oil, beeswax, castor oil, aloe vera, sweet birch oil) nice stuff, smells great too.
povster

Reply with quote  #24 
"Slip sliding away - de coconut oil way mon"

Now THAT'S funny!

mattm312

Reply with quote  #25 
Quote:
Coconut Oil has a property of actually drying the skin
Hmm, that's interesting. I've never heard that before, but I'll have to look into that. I know that many nutritionists and cosmeticians consider coconut oil to be a great natural emolient, but I could be completely wrong.

As far as other oils go, I've been trying almond, and while it seems to last a little longer than coconut, it isn't quite as "greasy" and therefor does not provide quite the "slippage" of coconut oil.

It would be nice to know, though, what the big-names use....
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.