INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Kirya

Reply with quote  #1 
Of late I have developed an increasing appetite for Dhrupad Vocals especially after hearing the Ustad H. Sayeeduddin DAGAR R
musicslug

Reply with quote  #2 
I'm biased, being a vina player in the Dagarbani tradition, but a recording I have of a duet of Fariduddin (vox) and Z.M. Dagar (vina) doing Chandrakauns which is one of my favorite ICM recordings.

Daniel
Sobers

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Kirya"
Please refer me to any great performances, recordings and artists that have captured your hearts.
As I stated before in some other thread... my favourite artists are Ud Aminuddin Dagar and Pt Uday Bhawalkar.... listen to/watch any videos of Pt Uday Bhawalkar... special recommendations of Raga Gunkali, Raga Marwa, Raga Shuddha Maru and his duets with Ud Bahauddin Dagar.

Sobers
dvb

Reply with quote  #4 
Hi Kirya,

I would never claim to be a rasika or dhrupad nor know more about it than you. That said, the Sayeedudin Dagar version of Bhoopali is one of my all-time favorite Indian raga discs & one of the few raga performances I can remember nearly note for note -- it comes in a 2xCD package on Buda Records cat #3017623.

My 1st ever experience of dhrupad, recorded or otherwise, was a live concert of Uday Bhalwalkar -- absolutely transcendent, especially the 1st raga which was Hamsadhawni (sp?) -- I do not know if he has ever recorded that one but I've collected many of his other CDs but the only one that compares with that 1st concert is the Raag Bihag from Music Today (CD-A00034) -- also one of my favorite recordings in my collection.

As for other dhrupad singers, I have a cassette tape of the Mallick clan -- I do not know where it is but I will post details once I find it. The Mallicks sing a different, more ... aggressive for lack of better word .. style of dhrupad than the Dagar style, which is more meditative as you probably noticed in the Sayeedudin Bhoop performance.

I have many recordings of the Sr & Jr. Dagar Brothers but they have not moved me as much those I've listed -- which probably says more about my taste than anything.

I know you mentioned singers but I also want to include a wonderful surbahar Dhrupad disc by Pushparaj Koshti. He is a Dagar student so it will be in the same style as Sayeedudin, Bhalwalkar. ZM Dagar is the gold standard when it comes to instrumental dhrupad (rudra veena) but I prefer the surbahar & this performance over any of the discs I have of ZM Dagar (or Asad Ali Khan). But I am very partial to the surbahar -- it is my favorite raga instrument to listen to.

Hope that helps.
sosad

Reply with quote  #5 
I'm biased, being a vina player in the Dagarbani tradition, but a recording I have of a duet of Fariduddin (vox) and Z.M. Dagar (vina) doing Chandrakauns which is one of my favorite ICM recordings.

http://checkersaga.com/

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks @dvb and @sosad for the recommendations. I will check them out.

I agree with the Bhupali suggestion though I have not heard the CD you mention -- I saw a video
which I found amazing of Ustad H. Sayeeduddin DAGAR singing R

Kirya

Reply with quote  #7 
Given the recommendations made by by @dvb here I think this might be of interest too

It is a full length concert of Uday Bhawalkar singing Hansadhwani -- unfortunately the sound is a little bit echoey but it is the full concert on video

http://www.iicdelhi.in/webcasts/view_webcast/a-mehfil-with-dagarbani-maestro-pandit-uday-bhawalkar/

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.