INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Tristan von Neumann

Reply with quote  #1 
After a long journey into Raga and 17th century European music,
I finally managed to pull out something real.

Christian Herwich, a viola da gamba player, was engaged to accompany a huge diplomatic mission to Isfahan, Persia.
As a musician, his task would have been according to the mission: seek out local music and establish cooperations. These cooperations might have been part of evening entertainment at the Persian court.
In "Partiturbuch Ludwig", a collection that I now know to contain music based on various Ragas, the most popular being Gaud Sarang and *Kamod*, I found the Sonata "La Chilana" for string ensemble.
Sonatas of the time, if called "La XYZ", XYZ is usually the name of the dedicatee, a musician or member of the court.
This Mr. "Chilana" may have been an Indian musician, as I found the name only in India.

It is based on Raga Kamod, and acts as a harmonization of the Raga, making effective use of the sidenotes that make the color of the Raga, even placing it in far out territory, yet making beautiful dissonance. The result is something very beautiful:
Something like Jazz or Progressive Rock.

Listen to it here:

As the 17th century progressed, many musicians became aware of the endless counterpoint-producing Raga principle.

Dietrich Buxtehude was a major Raga fan:

The famous Pachelbel Canon is based on Kamod:

Also this:

And JS Bach, the master of Raga:

Does anyone know Ronu Majumdar? This Raga version seems very truthful.

Have a great day of Saraswati experience.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.