INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
saqib

Reply with quote  #1 
Final Part of the write up on Tabla Makers of Pakistan....

http://punjabgharana.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-great-pakistani-tabla-making_9076.html
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "saqib"
Final Part of the write up on Tabla Makers of Pakistan....

http://punjabgharana.blogspot.co.uk/2012/09/the-great-pakistani-tabla-making_9076.html
This was a very interesting and enlightening series. The idea of having a competition between tabla makers to make the very best sounding dayan strikes me as an excellent idea towards the promotion of a standard of excellence among tabla makers. The following aspect of the competition intrigued me:
Quote:
Each maker was asked to produce a tabla dayaan tuned to C sharp with a playing skin diameter of 5.75 inches. The main criteria for judging the best drum was the sound quality, with particular attention given to the resonance and the uniformity of tone known as ‘thaap-kinaar’. The skin quality, selection of wood and overall appearance constituted other factors used to judge the best drum.
I'm not all surprised that for the sake of uniformity that a dayan tuned to C# would be required, but it was a surprise to me that it was required to be 5.75 inches. Going by my own experience I would have thought that 5.5 inches would have the obvious choice. It's generally my 5.5 inch tablas that I can just tune up to C#, and I would never dream of tuning the two 5.75 dayans I have that high. They happily sit at A and Bb.

I'm curious as to what the experience of other members of this forum might be in this regard.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
tabindaa

Reply with quote  #3 
Assalam u Alikum, i visited many times your link not working fine plz update it...
SarangiLal

Reply with quote  #4 
Sound clips would have really been nice.
VNO Design

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"

I'm not all surprised that for the sake of uniformity that a dayan tuned to C# would be required, but it was a surprise to me that it was required to be 5.75 inches. Going by my own experience I would have thought that 5.5 inches would have the obvious choice. It's generally my 5.5 inch tablas that I can just tune up to C#, and I would never dream of tuning the two 5.75 dayans I have that high. They happily sit at A and Bb.

I'm curious as to what the experience of other members of this forum might be in this regard.

Pascal
5.5 inches is typically a D or even higher. 5.75 is good for C, and I personally prefer a 5-5/8" for C. From what I've seen, C# is about the upper limit of a 5.75 shell.

pbercker

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "VNO
Quote:
Originally Posted by "pbercker"

Pascal
5.5 inches is typically a D or even higher. 5.75 is good for C, and I personally prefer a 5-5/8" for C. From what I've seen, C# is about the upper limit of a 5.75 shell.
That's a slightly higher range than I what I've seen before (5.25 for a D, 5.5 for C#, 5.75 for A/B). But from another thread (I forget which) I was given to understand that it also partly depends on what the tabla head was initially tuned to when it was first made on its original shell.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.