INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Yoshimi

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi!
I am studying abroad in Delhi this spring and summer for 7 months. I am from Tokyo and am studying agriculture/enviromental studies in Delhi, but am also interested in ICM! I sing traditional Japanese vocal music called seigaku and wanted to try to take lessons in the beautiful Indian style of singing where you hold the tambora drone instrument and sing raga. I also want to make friends! I am 22 years old. Are there many young Indian women studying classical vocal music in Delhi still? Is it still popular? It would be nice to make some friends while I'm there. Do you take vocal lessons at the same place you learn sitar/tabla or is it segregated vocal only? Are foriegners welcome or is it private classes only for Indian musical families?

I am also generally interested in how "alive" ICM still is with the youth, say would there be thousands of young musicians? Or is it mostly older people now?

Thank you!
Yoshimi

Reply with quote  #2 
Sorry I should have put this is "newbie" section. I apologize ops:
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #3 
I moved the topic for you so don't worry about it.

Welcome to the forums btw!! You will find this to be a great resource for ICM.

Have a nice stay in Delhi

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
Yoshimi

Reply with quote  #4 
Oh thanks for doing that for me and for the well wishes!!
Yoshimi

Reply with quote  #5 
I am just "bumping" this ^_^

Thank You!
nigama

Reply with quote  #6 
Btw, no matter who can teach you, young or old, what you learn is how to sing the svars (notes), these you can sing only if you know the shruties, how they are pitched to. The shruties you may learn from traditions, books and self experiment.

Myself bought a usb midi keyboard for a notebook, where you can calculate the shruties and fit them into a sarigam (scale), then you may learn to sing the svars as prescribed. Chinese music is very aking to indian or other oriental, even western music so this should be possible after some trials. Best luck.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.