INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
jiva

Reply with quote  #1 
I have an opportunity to acquire an old sitar (pictures below!). I'm looking at getting a second instrument (my primary instrument was recently set up by the master craftsman/magician Tony Karasek!) for traveling and to practice maintenance. The sitar is for sale at a very, very minimal cost.

It's an old Bina bare bones student model probably from the 1980's (it was purchased used in the early 90's). The instrument hasn't been played for years and needs work. I'm well aware that the quality of Bina's vary greatly (I have the impression that they are to be avoided). At the very least, I think this one is nice looking in its simplicity.

Aside from the obvious red flags of age and brand, I have a particular concern. The picture looking down the neck to the bridge from the tuning pegs (bottom photo) shows that the tabli and main gourd appear to be slightly crooked from the neck. Is that a twisted neck, or a neck that just wasn't attached correctly to begin with? Does anyone have experience with this? Would this be playable?

Is it worth fixing up?

Thanks

Attached Images
jpeg Neck&Gourd.jpg (102.12 KB, 1 views)
jpeg Neck1.jpg (86.88 KB, 1 views)
jpeg Bridge1.jpg (90.55 KB, 1 views)

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #2 
Looks like it has seen better days...does it leak oil? Do the wheels wobble?

Reply with quote  #3 
OM GUY
STOP IT Be nice!!!!
Actually, as long as it IS cheap this sitar might be quite good. Although it is what we call in the trade a 'Lucknow' sitar which usually means 'not very good at all' BUT
Look how nicely carved the pegs are. Can't really see what you mean when you mention this 'neck thing' though. Another pic??
It IS quite old so this should be in its favour to start with. Exactly how much is it?
Certainly a good playaroundwith sitar.

Nick
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #4 
Kind words, Jiva. Thank you ! ! ! " Magician " ? ? ? Look closely, folks. The fingers never leave the hand ! Ah yesss ! ! ! This sitar has an ominous neck twist to it, no mistaking. The neat thing is that even with a twist like this, ( Down, Chubby Checker. Down ! Down ! ! ) The raised / curved frets keep it all playable. The main bridge will need to be lowered around 1/8" - 3/16" and the chikari posts will need to be lengthened ( replaced ). You've got 19 frets so that will work ok. You get to polish and retie them. General cleanup and polish along with new strings, some beads, some new drapes, a new coat of paint and it will be lovely ! ! ! Mr. Monkey is dead on with those vintage "garlic" pegs. Love em ! ! ! For a beater sitar that's good for noodling and thrashing on, you should do ok with this one.

Reply with quote  #5 
Trippy Monk - No other pics available at the moment. We're still negotiating, so no specific price yet. I told him I was going to think about it for now. But we're looking at under $100. Perhaps significantly so. The person mainly wants a good home for it since it's not being used.

Sitarfixer - Yes, a "Magician" folks! I had the privilege to watch Tony at work on my baby for most of an afternoon. An education, one might say Haven't played much for the last couple of years, but have been playing non-stop for the last month since the setup. Thanks again Tony!

Anyway, a "beater" was exactly how I was looking at this. I'm cautious about having "junk" laying around my house. Don't need it! However, it sounds like this may be ok for what it is. It can be a project.

Thanks for the feedback!
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #6 
I totally agree about Tony.
When I stayed with him I learned more about sitar maintenance than BEFORE & SINCE!!! 8)

Less than $100 would be worth a play around with, I feel. You could always use it for spares!

Nick
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.