INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #1 
Here is Fazal Qureshi playing a very nice rendition of the peshkar - which I enjoyed watching very much -

Zakirji's brother is also clearly very talented in tabla - I wonder why he has not reached the level fame that Zakirji has?
What are all of your thoughts?

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #2 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"
Here is Fazal Qureshi playing a very nice rendition of the peshkar - which I enjoyed watching very much -

Zakirji's brother is also clearly very talented in tabla - I wonder why he has not reached the level fame that Zakirji has?
What are all of your thoughts?
I've watched this particular video several times and on the whole I do like it, and he's clearly a talented tabla player, but I can't help but feel that, at least in this clip, his dhire-dhire are a bit wanting. They sound a bit raspy and not clear and distinct bols.

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes - he perhaps doesn't quite have the speed and clarity of his elder brother Zakir -

but I believe him and other brothers of Zakirji spend a lot of time playing other percussion instruments - perhaps they realised they wouldn't get the same light as Zakirji was so phenomenal

Eitherway - its just so interesting - because clearly Zakirji's brothers are talented tabla players as well --- but sad that they never really get anywhere near the same recognition -

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
pbercker

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TablaBeatz"
Yes - he perhaps doesn't quite have the speed and clarity of his elder brother Zakir -

but I believe him and other brothers of Zakirji spend a lot of time playing other percussion instruments - perhaps they realised they wouldn't get the same light as Zakirji was so phenomenal

Eitherway - its just so interesting - because clearly Zakirji's brothers are talented tabla players as well --- but sad that they never really get anywhere near the same recognition -
I saw a concert with all three of them - Zakirj Hussain, Fazal qureshi and Taufiq Qureshi - in Boulder Colorado. Zakir was on tabla and Fazal was on tabla and sometimes on the kanjeera, and Taufiq was on what I can only call the most elaborate drum kit I've ever seen - you could barely see him since he was completely surrounded by a variety of drums, cymbals, bellss, jars, and god knows what else. It was quite the sight and quite the sound. Since I was a total autograph hound at the time, I went up on the stage after the concert to get Zakirji's signature (and believe me it took a bit to steel myself and overcome my nervousness since I was in total awe of him, but my desires to get his autograph overcame my anxieties!) So I asked him to sign below his printed name that I had on a picture of the lineage of the Punjab gharana that Aloke Dutta has in his tabla book. He asked me what it was and I explained it to him. He then got visibly annoyed at the chart and asked "where are my brothers on here?" while both brothers are standing behind him. I lamely responded something to the effect that it was incomplete and that Aloke Dutta was still working on it! Which of course made no sense at all, but that's all I could think of at the time! Obviously the answer - I am guessing - was probably that Aloke Dutta didn't no think highly enough of his brothers to merit an entry in his chart at the time. It was meant to be a chart of the enduring great masters of tabla presumably!

In any case he signed it and then drew two more lines underneath Alla Rakha's name for the two spots for his brothers which they then signed. Fazal's is on the left and Taufiq on the right with Zakirji in the middle.

http://img827.imageshack.us/img827/6992/zakirautograph.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Pascal

My opinion given without any warranties, expressed or implied, that it's even relevant. It would be folly to rely on my opinion without seeking more professional tabla advice. If you are suffering from a tabla condition, seek immediate attention.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #5 
Wow that's an interesting story !!! Thanks for sharing !!

Glad you worked up the courage and went upto Zakirji for his autograph -
I saw them all play in their Master's of Percussion tour - but Zakirji was the main highlight on tabla - and everyone else played supporting instruments - at times Zakirji was off the stage - and the others were given the chance to shine - enjoyable show !

It's nice that Zakirji tours a lot with all of them -

Really cool you got their autographs !

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.