INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
assingh

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello Friends,

I was looking at old thread at http://forums.chandrakantha.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3474 and thought of starting this thread here.

What's your favourite Tabla size for practice purposes?

Thanks
A.s Singh
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #2 
I practice on two different tablas -
One is my sweet sounding 5.25inch dayan
and the other is a huge 7inch dayan that I luckily came accross in a shop.

(My measurements are from edge to edge, just before the rim falls towards the gajara - not entirely sure if I'm measuring accurately - the my sizes presented are conservative)

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Acelga

Reply with quote  #3 
It depends. This days I like to practice on my 5.75 Dayan (B), I am obsessed with its sound. But last month I played quite a lot on the 5.25 one (E) and in November I played almost everyday the 6" Dayan (G).
I barely practice on the 7 and 5.5 because I use them for live performances and rehearsals so I know them very well. I read that is good to practice on the 7" Dayan every day and I tried it, but the tuning is very inconsistent and most compositions just sound weird on it. But is perfect for other compositions.
On some occasions I have practiced Phakawaj-like stuff on the 7" for half an hour, then switched to the 5.5" for relas and kaida-relas.
I agree that one should practice regularly on every size.
TablaBeatz

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Acelga"
It depends. This days I like to practice on my 5.75 Dayan (B), I am obsessed with its sound. But last month I played quite a lot on the 5.25 one (E) and in November I played almost everyday the 6" Dayan (G).
I barely practice on the 7 and 5.5 because I use them for live performances and rehearsals so I know them very well. I read that is good to practice on the 7" Dayan every day and I tried it, but the tuning is very inconsistent and most compositions just sound weird on it. But is perfect for other compositions.
On some occasions I have practiced Phakawaj-like stuff on the 7" for half an hour, then switched to the 5.5" for relas and kaida-relas.
I agree that one should practice regularly on every size.
You're right - certain compositions just don't sound right on certain dayans -

"The beginning of life is rhythm. When you’re in the womb your mother’s heart is beating at (about 90) decibels ... we were born of vibration 13.7 billion years ago with the explosion of the universe."
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.