INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TCPerez

Reply with quote  #1 
I've been looking for some good instrumental raag yaman recordings to listen to and get the sound/spirit of the rag better ingrained in my mind: Any reccomendations/favorite performances would be much appreciated!
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
Disc two of this:
http://oriental-traditional-music.blogspot.com/2011/07/imrat-khan-sitar-surbahar-nordindische.html

No tanpura, no tabla, just the maestro and his surb! I'm learning the (very, very basic) fundamentals of Yaman from him in my lessons.

The beginning of part 2 of this Yaman has some wonderful rhythmic pieces where it seems to be a combination of plucking the low Ni tarab with rhythmic play on the chikaris, all building up to the main string singing out again on Sa. Call me a bit starstruck or a loyalist to his teacher, but this is just a lovely recording. I'm less enamored of the raag itself of Jhinjoti so most of my listening is the second disc, Yaman and Hamsadhwani (which is also great).

For a more colorful and varied version, try this from Raviji...may technically be Yaman-Kalyan as it is labelled, I haven't listened closely enough to monitor for shuddh ma, but I wouldn't consider it properly "ICM" anyway, just a rather lovely fusion of two classical genres that gives you a very rough birdseye view of Yaman...lydian mode, lots of Ni Re Ga, etc.
povster

Reply with quote  #3 
Z.M.Dagar's Yaman is somewhat amazing. Alap, Jor, Jhalla and composition in Chautal (12 beats) linked below in an 8-part Youtube extravaganza. List is in order from 1 - 8.

coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #4 
I love this one. Quite short but to the point and a good summary of it -

I don't think this sounds particularly like yaman but it's incredibly beautiful -

And of course there's the Vilayat Khan recording...
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
Z.M.Dagar's Yaman is somewhat amazing.
I only listened to part 1 of 8, but wow. The vin in the right hands is an unearthly instrument! The exposition is almost so slow that my ears (unless concentrating) don't even pick up the raga at all...hard to explain, he dwells on notes so long (as one does, at the early stages of dhrupad alap, of course!) that in my mind I stop listening for phrases. But even just the tone of those low notes, wow.

Here's another interesting one, Dr. Kamala Shankar on her slide guitar (think like Mohan veena):

EDIT: Let me just add another comment about the Ust Imrat Khan album I linked up above...particularly in the initial alap there are times when he lets it go completely silent. No tanpura, no constant drone, just space...really beautiful setting for surbahar. At certain times a sweetly meended note will decay into pure silence, and I find I'm holding my breath without realizing it. Great album, really is my favorite Yaman.
John

Reply with quote  #6 
Z.M. Dagar's Nimbus recording.

Vilayat Khansaheb's 1968 recording.

Pannalal Ghosh's 1960 recording.

Rais Khansaheb live bootleg on this forum somewhere.

Any Bismillah Khansaheb recording.

I know it's not instrumental, but you can't mention a 'big' raga like Yaman without mentioning Amir Khansaheb.

coughcapkittykat

Reply with quote  #7 
There is a Balaram Pathak version around which is incredible, very hard to get hold of though.
I'm sure I've got a NB somewhere but can't remember what it's like.
As with any raga I love Shahid Parvez's renditions. There's one on Evening Ragas Vol 4 and a longer version on The Art of the Sitar.
TCPerez

Reply with quote  #8 
Ooh, thanks for all the replies
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #9 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "TCPerez"
Ooh, thanks for all the replies
I agree!! I was looking for some great recordings to study this Raag more.

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
povster

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "nicneufeld"
I only listened to part 1 of 8, but wow. The vin in the right hands is an unearthly instrument! The exposition is almost so slow that my ears (unless concentrating) don't even pick up the raga at all...hard to explain, he dwells on notes so long (as one does, at the early stages of dhrupad alap, of course!) that in my mind I stop listening for phrases. But even just the tone of those low notes, wow.
As you listen to more dhrupad you will hear the phrases. The alap in dhrupad vocal or dhrupad vin is definitely slower than kheya style. Notes are lingered on longer and phjrases are slower to dev elop. But the ear and brain will soon attune to the pace and the phrases will actually be more apparant.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.