INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 3 of 3      Prev   1   2   3
jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #31 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "John"
Re Smt. Malini Rajurkar, I downloaded this last night:

http://www.emusic.com/album/Malini-Rajurkar-First-Time-On-CD-Malini-Rajurkar-MP3-Download/11642404.html

In true SaReGaMa style, the track labelling is poor, giving only the name of each chiz. Can any of you more knowledgeable types out there shed any light?

Thanks in advance for any help & also for introducing me to this great artist.
kāhe ho hamse pritam & garajat barasat bhijat āilo are χɩyāl bandɩș-es in rāg gauḑ malhār

ab to bhai bhor sounds like a χɩyāl in rāg kɩrwāni which contains curious sentiments for a rāg I always associated with a night time performance preference

nazar di bahar is a ṫappa in rāg bhairavi

Reply with quote  #32 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "jaan
kāhe ho hamse pritam & garajat barasat bhijat āilo are χɩyāl bandɩș-es in rāg gauḑ malhār

ab to bhai bhor sounds like a χɩyāl in rāg kɩrwāni which contains curious sentiments for a rāg I always associated with a night time performance preference

nazar di bahar is a ṫappa in rāg bhairavi
Thanks for the info. I had an inkling the last one was bhairavi, its one of the few I can relatively easily identify!

Could you elaborate on those 'curious sentiments' in 'ab to bhai bhor' please?

jaan e kharabat

Reply with quote  #33 
Quote:

Could you elaborate on those 'curious sentiments' in 'ab to bhai bhor' please?
ab to bhai bhor jāgo more lāl āye bahar brij ke...

My Hindustani is not great but what I can make out is that the poetic voice in the ciz is informing her friend ('lāl') that it's morning time and beseeching her to awaken for the impending arrival in Brij of Krishna.

Reply with quote  #34 
I'm slightly disappointed not to see more speaking on behalf of Bhimsen-ji.

As always, I profess to be no expert, but let me state some of my favorite characteristics of Joshi's singing:

1) In later years, his voice became more baritonal and bassy. It's the very rare Indian male vocalist who makes use of the full, rich timbre of the masculine voice. Most sing in a much more tenoric way. I'm not saying that many don't have wonderful low notes--it's not the range, but the timbre to which I refer. Bhimsen-ji maintained his wide range into his later years while also bringing a warmth to the vocal quality that is exceptionally unique.

2) His timbral warmth also translated into a stylistic sweetness--while he can treat material majestically and commandingly, it's never harsh or brash. His tone and whoel treatment are honey-sweet, and this is why he is also such a master of thumri's.

3) His non-performance contributions, such as directing the S.G. festival, also doing cross-tradition work, such as his juglbandi's w/ Balamurali.

I also quite like the work of Ajoy Chakrabarty and Ud Fateh Ali Khan. Don't know of too many young musicians who are mind-blowing (not yet), although I've lately been dabbling in Shujaat Khan's vocal recordings of Ghazals and they're not at all bad.

The foolish critic follows where he's told."
-Kalidas, Malavikagnimitra I.i.2
Trans. Arthur Ryder
John

Reply with quote  #35 
Talking of the younger generation, Sanhita Nandi of Kirana gharana has caught my attention recently. The music speaks for itself:

Raag Multani

Raag Saraswati 1/2

Raag Saraswati 2/2

Definitely one to watch!

povster

Reply with quote  #36 
The most sublime to me are the Senior Dagar Brothers (Moinuddin and Aminuddin) followed by the "Junior Dagar Broithers" Zahiruddin and Faiyazuddin). I had the chance to see the Junior Dagar Brothers live back in the 70's and it was absolutley transfixing.

On the kheyal side, in addition to the usual Amir Khan, Bade Ghulam Ali Khan etc, I am impressed by Rasheed Khan. A few years ago I attended a concert with Rasheed Khan, Kushal Das on sitar and Anandagopal Bandopadhyay (fantastic Benares tabla player). Khan and Das performed separately followed by a Jugalbandi.

I have a recording somewhere if I can find it I will post it.

Vusat

Reply with quote  #37 
Dear All,

This is Vusat Iqbal, D/o UStad Iqbal AHmed KHan, the [resent Head/Khalifa of Dilli GHarana. I agree with all your posts that the Dilli GHarana musicians did not get their worth. The reason for Bundu Khan Sahab migrating to Pakistan was the pity of classical musicians in India at that time. For any details about the Dilli Gharan, please log on to http://www.dilligharana.com and for any query, mail me at sursagarsociety@yahoo.co.in or ustadiqbal@yahoo.com

Musically Yours,
Vusat Iqbal
D/o Ustad Iqbal AHmed KHan
panchamkauns

Reply with quote  #38 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Raga_Mala"
I'm slightly disappointed not to see more speaking on behalf of Bhimsen-ji.
Then I will step in and recommend the two monumental live series of Bhimsen Joshi, Siddhi (12 CDs) and 75 Years (6 CDs).

I listen all the time to many khyal greats such as Kumar Gandharva, BGAK, Amir Khan, Kishori, Kesarbai, Sharafat, Mansur etc etc but frankly it feels pointless to list this in a forum dedicated to Indian classical music. I thought everbody here listened to at least most of these people!

Reply with quote  #39 
Quote:
Talking of the younger generation, Sanhita Nandi of Kirana gharana has caught my attention recently.
Wow, this is great! She is obviously a good singer and I for one love how she is willing to try these really low notes.

It seems she hasn’t made any CDs or tapes?

Reply with quote  #40 
@panchamkauns, I know that she is in the process of making a CD. I have had the pleasure of listening to her Bageshree in entirety on a non-commercial CD (a small sampler here,
) and it is a masterpiece. She is greatly influenced by Ustad Amir Khan and Roshan Ara Begum and I think that is evident in her gayaki.
Raga_Mala

Reply with quote  #41 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "panchamkauns"
I will step in and recommend the two monumental live series of Bhimsen Joshi, Siddhi (12 CDs) and 75 Years (6 CDs).
Thank you! I am seeking these out right away!!!

The foolish critic follows where he's told."
-Kalidas, Malavikagnimitra I.i.2
Trans. Arthur Ryder
povster

Reply with quote  #42 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "daryush"
this shows povster is one of the rare folks who agree with my choice. if you dig deep into the ICM world,you'd find out that most of the stalwarts listen to the two giants of chote and bade khayal singing.
d
Hmmm - I'm not sure f that is a good thing or a bad thing! (Just kidding!)

I was lucky to have the very first exposure to ICM vocal being AMir Khan's Malkauns. I couldn;t stop listening to it for literally months on end and it remains a great favorite recording (I think this was an AIR performance but may be wrong on that).

I remember in the early 70's when I was working in the darkroom of an advertising agency. The darkroom door was very close to one of the artists' desks, As always I had some ICM playing on a little cassette recorder that was plugged into a small speaker. Sounded decent enough.

Anyway, I start the Amir Khan Malkauns - alap - then had to leave the darkroom for a while. On my return the arist looked at me with concern and said "Michael, there's a man laughing in your darkroom!" I went in and it was the gamaks of Amir Khan!

povster

Reply with quote  #43 
Well, she had never heard ICM vocal and knew absolutley nothing about ICM. I found the whole thing quite amusing.
sumeet

Reply with quote  #44 
VOCAL MAESTROS about whom not a lot is written about here are,

PANDIT KUMAR GANDHARVA.
NAZAKAT / SALAMAT ALI.

and my list also includes,

BADE GHULAM ALI KHAN.
KISHORI AMONKAR.
AMIR KHAN
PANDIT D. V. PALUSKAR.

I confess here that i really haven't heard a lot of DHRUPAD, hence am not in a position to comment upon the DAGAR BROTHERS.

Please listen to the following to make ur own decisions...
KUMAR GANDHARVA - BHAIRAV KE PRAKAR, SAHELI TODI, PURIYA DHANASHREE, NAND.
NAZAKAT / SALAMAT ALI - GAAWATI, ABHOGI, POORVI.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.