INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
kaidasaplenty72

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello!

I am a beginner on the Tabla, having started only 7 months ago and I am in love with it. I have a schedule of practice of usually 2-3 hours a day before going to my dayjob, 5 days a week, taking regular classes. I used to be a professional bass player and I need to learn an instrument well if I want to feel satisfaction playing it which means I must dedicate some time to it. My question is this: I am going to be a father in 4 months from now and really excited! But I am wondering what will be happening with my practicing routine... Also I am thinking, if I practice at home, how will our baby react to this noise (Although the Tabla is not really loud)...

Any fathers/tabla players who went through this change in their lives can give me advice?

Thanks!
tablatime

Reply with quote  #2 
how about a mother? i was my husband's tabla accompanyist for more than 25 years. we both studied with pundit Jnan Prakash Ghosh. when our daughters were babies we would lay them down on the floor on a blanket and practice. i think we were more concerned with quiet with the first child,but then with the second we were more at ease ourselves. our babies were not bothered by the sounds, and could fall asleep anywhere after that. but each child is different, and we must be respectful of their individuality just as we deserve that respect. it's only our post-WWII middle class childrearing philosophy that dictates a quiet zone as necessary for babies to go to sleep. enjoy your fatherhood. you will learn a lot about yourself in the process.
kaidasaplenty72

Reply with quote  #3 
A mother is fine! Thank you for sharing your personal/professional experience. I am certainly looking forward to welcome our baby into this world, my wife and I are really happy. Just hoping that the parenthood/dayjob/tabla practice formula will not be one with many conflicts!
jmain

Reply with quote  #4 
Hey my bass brethren!
I got my tabla last February when my daughter (first and onlyl) was 4 months old. My practice time was mostly limited then due to my fatherly duties, but she had no problem sleeping through the ruckus. Now at 14 months, she sleeps a little lighter and I don't get to practice much while she is sleeping since our house is on the cozy side.

The only thing now is she wants to play when I am practicing! Its my fault though. I put her on my lap and let her play when she could sit up. I want to expose her all of our instruments. The other day she brought her little pillow in my music room and sat across from me.

Congratulations and have fun!
s1owpoke

Reply with quote  #5 
I have 2 kids, work shift work and still find time to play tabla and sarangi. My little 5yo now sits across from me and bangs so loud on bongos that I can not hear myself playing but I figured if I can play in these conditions then my concentration is that much better. lol

I never told many people this but I do sit in my van in the middle of the night when I can not sleep and play sarangi. That way I can play and not wake up the whole house!!

So you will find ways and time so just enjoy the little one coming. I can't imagine my life without mine.

Have fun!!

"Real music is not for wealth, not for honours or even the joys of the mind... but as a path for realization and salvation."
Ustad Ali Akbar Khan
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.