Author   Comment  
Betaji

Reply with quote  #1 
I wish to know the bols of this kaida.
Tks.

hbajpai

Reply with quote  #2 
Try attempting to decode it.

Zakir Bhai plays two cycles at slow speed. It is indeed a classic. The Khali is harder (Personally speaking) then the Bhari. The Nikas is particularly important I feel in this composition.

To get you started, I will provide the first 4 beats or the first line. Maybe others that do not know the kaida may want to participate in this exercise :-) .

DhiNa(s) | DhaGeNa | DhaTraK | DhaGeNa
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #3 
Double the views but no response....Hmmm...

Here is the second line.

Line 1
Dhina- dhagena dhatrak dhagena
Line 2
Dhatrak dhatidha genadhi nagena

Some side information. The composition is in adilaya or triplets or tishra jati. It is commonly referred as the farrukabad peshkaar kaida. Zakir bhai plays this quite commonly in his performances. Is is mentioned in several traditional books. Examples include: pdt. Sudhir kumar saxena "the art of tabla rhythm", pdt. Mulgaonkar "tabla", pdt. Sudhir mainkar "aesthetics of tabla", etc.

Let's build the kaida first then we can discuss the nikas... :-)
evening84

Reply with quote  #4 
Not that I didn't try ... listened to it quite a few times but can't quite get it (just yet). Anyhow what comes next after what you have written is what makes this dish particularly sumptuous; to me it sounds like "terekete taka terekete taka taka terekete" but I am not sure. I would like to spend a bit more time to try and decode it but now that you have mentioned the books, I may not be able to hold out for too long. Also to me it sounds like first phrase is Dhi-Na i.e. the first bol is meend-laden ; here again I am not sure.

It is indeed a very nice qaida ; it has the feel of a gentle canoe trip on a smooth flowing river with the tereketes providing the white-water rapids and thrills. They come suddenly, do their thing and are gone.

hbajpai

Reply with quote  #5 
Try skipping that line and work on the next line or the next section within the Bhari and then based on counting fit in the Tirakits bols as you mention below.

You are already on the Nikas section of the discussion. :-) You are right! Dhi is on the Sur or the Maidaan. While I do not know how Zakir bhai plays it, it does sound like that. Some cheat or modify it a bit and play it as DhinNa i.e. on the shai.
SarangiLal

Reply with quote  #6 
Hint...its starts with Ghe na....

Check this video at 1.01

hbajpai

Reply with quote  #7 
To wrap up the thread. Here it is. Enjoy!

Farrukabad Pershkaar Kaida.

Dhina(s) | Dhagena | Dhatrak | Dhagena
Dhatrak | Dhatidha | GenaDhi |Nagena
Tirakittak | Tatirakit | Dhina(S) | Dhagena
Dhatrak | Dhatidha | Ghinati | Nakena

Tingti | Nagena | TageTi |Rakit
TageTi | TaTage | Trakti | Nakidnag
Tirakittak | Tatirakit | DhinNa(S) | Dhagena
Dhatrak | Dhatidha | Ghinadhi | Nagena

Forgive any typos and please do correct them.

P.S.
Personally, I like this at a slow speed or just near the upper limit of Vilambit Laya. I also found that looping this exact recording of Zakir Bhai when he plays slow and reciting with it, helped me learn this piece better. Finally, as mentioned previously, the Khali of this very dangerous! Finally, play close attention to Dhina versus DhinNa.
evening84

Reply with quote  #8 
Thanks Harsh. Yes that second line in khali does appear to be a minefield of sorts. BTW, it would be great if you could share the page-numbers where this is referenced in Pt. Mainkar and Pt. Mulgaonkar's books - I had tried to cheat and had scoured those books for a good hour last night with no success.

I really like the feel and flow of this qaida and cannot wait to start learning it. Thanks again for sharing the theme and thanks to the original poster for the spark.

evening84

Reply with quote  #9 
I listened to it again (and again and again) and to me the 8th matra in the bhari as notated does not sound right. To me it sounds like Na-kidnag i.e. kidnag is like the pickup for trkttktatrkt in both bhari and khali sections. Would appreciate a confirmation - Harsh ? Others ?
hbajpai

Reply with quote  #10 
Thanks for the correction. The 8th beat written above In the bhari is my cut/paste mistake Its respective khali portion is correct. Thanks evening84 for your dilligence. Tells me there is someone out there....
TablaPlayer22

Reply with quote  #11 
i'm confused....

so whats the bol for the 8th beat?
evening84

Reply with quote  #12 
Confused ? No worries. All is well. Harsh' s original transcription is quite right - Zakir's version is slightly modified as I mentioned. This qaida is listed under Ajrada qaidas in Vintage Tabla Repertory with a slight variation (Ghe instead of Dhee to start) as follows :
qaida.GIF 

hbajpai

Reply with quote  #13 
Hi folks, let me start from the beginning and at least clarify my self.

I was trying to transcribe what Zakir Bhai is playing in this particular piece. I put down a kaida in writing, which is the same kaida that Zakir Bhai is plays, but what he plays in here is very slightly different.

I will not comment on Farrukabad versus Ajrada, because I have seen it both ways. I will also not comment on whether it starts from Ghe or Dhi because I have seen it written both ways.

The original Kaida as I have seen in several publications is:
Dhatrak | Dhatidha | GenaDhi |Nagena

What I believe Zakir bhai is playing in this recording particularly at faster speed is:

Dhatrak | Dhatidha | GenaDhi |NaKidTak

Both versions as written by me are subject to that half phrase discrepancy.
Only Zakir Bhai can tell what he is playing on the 8th beat. Only the composer can tell several authors before me whether the first phrase is a Ghe or a Dhi and if this baby is Ajrada or Farrukabad. :-)
TablaPlayer22

Reply with quote  #14 
You two are most kind.

Thank you for the clarification
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.