INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
TBo22

Reply with quote  #1 
Greetings all,

I've noticed that the sympathetic strings on one of the RRs on AACM's site has what looks like tiny bridges (guide pegs?) in front of the eyelets. They seem like they might keep the strings slightly elevated, and maybe increase resonant surface area of the vibrations of each string. If this is the case, it seems like a good idea.

Any ideas about these? Has anyone attempted to install their own?

TBo22
TBo22

Reply with quote  #2 
I just checked the AACM site to see if I could post the link to the pics I mentioned, but the neck detail views are no longer there. If I'm not mistaken, I've seen these eyelet guides on at least one of the sitars that Anoushka plays.

TBo22
nimesh

Reply with quote  #3 
My P & Brothers sitar seems to have this feature. (I bought mine from AACM). This dealer in Germany has a P& Brothers sitar described in more detail compared to AACM store's website- click on the 4th image from top.
http://www.india-instruments.de/pages/stringinst/sitar/pbrsim_e.html
sitardoc

Reply with quote  #4 
it seems to me that their essential purpose is to prevent eyelet splittage. as far as increasing resonance, i doubt it. in order to keep the relationship between these raised strings and the angle upon which they enter the tarab bridge, it, too would have to be raised. my RR does not have them nor will she. and she responds most sublimely without these extra pieces. trying to install them yourself would be one fat PITA, i believe. RR, unlike trash outfits like modern-day RKS, uses high quality bone. to me, they seem superfluous. historically, Pt. Shankar, a long-time RR player, did not like them. now, since he plays a totally different type of sitar, the point is moot.
peace
-the doc
povster

Reply with quote  #5 
I had a Hiren Roy #1 that had them as well. My current Hiren #1 doesn't. But I appreciated the idea. Much more surface so splitting becomes much less of an issue than the bone ring. Replacing them should one break or split appears easier than the grommets as well. I did not notice any enhanced resonance.
TBo22

Reply with quote  #6 
Thanks very much to all for the information. Your comments are very helpful.

TBo22
element-82

Reply with quote  #7 
I am a big fan of the eyelet pegs. They definitely protect the eyelets. I think they do make the tarabs more sensitive/responsive. Not sure exactly why, but my theory is that there are more points of contact from the sound board to the tarab string, which results in more stimulus. TonyK's slotted eyelets are beefier and slightly higher than eyelets. So, maybe it is a combination of height and amount of contact, for which I prefer to sue the technical term "beefiness" ;-)

Pb

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.