INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
atoledo

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

Please forgive me if this is not the right forum for this question.

A few years ago I saw a special on TV showing the music video of a popular Indian singer. Not only was her dancing above par but what surprised me most (and really what the show was about) was the way she danced with her eyes. They shot up and down and left and right extremely quickly as she sang. The announcer said she was the currently the best at this technique, very similar to _____ (Here the announcer mentioned another singer from many years ago who was famous for the same "eye dancing".)

Unfortunately, I don't recall either singer's name. If anyone has any idea who these ladies are I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #2 
Is this singer the dancer in the video as, if it's from a Bollywood movie it's quite likely to NOT be the voice of whoever is in the film.
Where did you see this clip, ie where are you from?

Was it a classical style or modern style of dancing?

Nick
redtape

Reply with quote  #3 
Agreed. Where did you hear it ~ and I must ask because it is a fact ~ was she SUPER good looking Then look no further than the Hindi Film Industry. It also could be from a popular show called Sa Re Ga Ma in India ?
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #4 
Anand
You big RACIST you!!!!

via the local plastic surgeon!!!!

Yes, SA RE GA MA is a good possibility.

Nick
atoledo

Reply with quote  #5 
Thanks for the replies.

I caught this while flipping through the channels here in the U.S. (New York). The station carries asian programming.

The dancer WAS indeed the same girl singing. It was a music video. It wasn't from a show like SA RE GA MA.

The dancing was quite modern. Didn't look like something pulled out of a movie, though. She sang right to the camera and had several backup dancers.
redtape

Reply with quote  #6 
Interesting~ i would love to see it. And nick-bhai ~ blow it in your second toomba ops: Am I not good at making jokes? That sounded mean and it ~ in my mind ~ was supposed to be funny. Let me know ~ i will remove it

http://www.anandvyas.org
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #7 
Anand
Only just seen this for some reason.

To be pedantic I never use a second toomba being of the Etawah lot. Not even on the surbahar...

Nick
holikarang

Reply with quote  #8 
it was not classical music from the way you describe it.

By the way, nowadays singers -especially female- are very careful not to dance or do anything that could look like a dance expression while singing classical music, because this was done in the past by courtesans and it was not well-considered until recently.

Some artists (especially dancers) like Pt Birju Maharaj still perform this refined art of bhaav or abhinay in singing, but it's very rare to see nowadays.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.