INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
dennis

Reply with quote  #16 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "joshfeinberg"
hello,

it sounds as if you think i was telling you to blame Sitarsetc for your misfortune, i just want to clarify that i was not. what i ment to say, is the opposite, its not the vendor's fault, its impossible to know what will happen to an instrument as time goes on. i was saying that although Bharatji gave the instrument a through goingover, and i'm sure he did, there's still no real way to know weather the finish is going to peal, or if an endpin will break, etc. . .lemons in disguise. . .:-)

joshf
No- I agree 100% with you. Your point is well made. I blame no one, including myself or the animal the bone came from.
Anonymous

Reply with quote  #17 
BLAME THE DEER!

:-) dam aninmals dont know how to grow antlers anymore. . .

jf
Drew

Reply with quote  #18 
Funny... the first thing I was going to say was "thats what you get when you buy a Sitar from House of Raga" ! :wink:

Just to add my 2cents on this.

I have never dealt with sitarsetc before but, seeing other posts from happy forum members and that they frequent these forums and seem to be offering anything they can to make sure the customer is happy. When it comes time to buy my next Sitar... Sitarsetc will be the first place I look.

hey, these things happen and are nobodys fault. At least they are returning your emails/calls and are willing to do what it takes to fix the problem a.s.a.p. That type of respect seems to be non-existant these days and when your dealing with such delicate and expensive instruments like the Sitar.. Its good to know that there are places like Sitarsetc to go to.

P.S. (can I get 25% off for my plug?) :wink: :wink: :wink:

Always have 1 eye open
povster

Reply with quote  #19 
Hey Dennis! A couple of core questions don;t seem to be answered:

1) What do you tune your Sa to?

2) What do you tune the sympathetic string to?

sitarman

Reply with quote  #20 
Just thought I'd relate a paint problem story and, yes, we ARE fortunate to have dealers on this forum who have integrity.
I bought my first good sitar from AACM, a Hiren Roy #1 left handed in 1995. Being lefty it came in a rexin case. I live in Tucson and it is REALLY DRY here 95% of the time. After a week my upper gourd started peeling. , then the main gourd. It was crazy! I thought, "is it the dryness here?"The foklks at AACM (Bruce I believe) had me ship it, refinished the whole instrument and shipped it back at their expense. Funny thing is, we figured out it was the case! The glue in the case hadn't dried sufficiently- you could smell it pretty strongly (sorry, not my type of buzz!). After replacing the case, no more problems. I must admit that I too have never heard of an end post breaking. I would think that the tarb strings would break way before they could be tuned high enoiugh to create a dangerous amount of tension for the post.
dennis

Reply with quote  #21 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "povster"
Hey Dennis! A couple of core questions don;t seem to be answered:

1) What do you tune your Sa to?

2) What do you tune the sympathetic string to?
C#, C# ,however- I have experamented with D and C.
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #22 
Hi. Your sitars ailments are not all that uncommon. Over the years, I've seen these taraf pins snap. As mentioned above - "blame the deer"! Even my Kanaii Lal Rudra Veena snapped a pin with only two strings connected and at correct pitch. Rikhi Ram has solved this problem by fitting aluminum posts instead of deerhorn. I'm leaning toward brass. The painted gourd is a personal pet peeve of mine. They hide all kinds of putty. The paint often comes off the surface for any number of reasons - poor quality local paint; wet gourds (rush job); painted during monsoon; and on and on. Bharat is bending over forwards to correct the situation. From the cornfield - "Salute" ! ! !

Reply with quote  #23 

Old post- I know, but I just wanted to say to all that SitarsEct made good, sent me a new sitar and as I've stated before, Bharat and SitarsEct are a great place to do business. I still blame the deer and am most grateful for Sitars Ect sending a new Sitar out, as I just didn't feel comfortable trying to repair a bone piece this early in my career. Thjanks again Sitars Ect and thatnks to all for your input.
:wink:
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.