INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Three5Seven

Reply with quote  #16 
As far as the tone issue goes... Is the fact that it's got electric capability a potential correction for that? Plug into a p.a. And tinker to correct for any flatness? Maybe this is blasphemy to an indian music afficionato but I did find the ability to plug in to be a bit appealing given how hard it is to mic up a sitar and get good signal to background ratio...
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #17 
[shudders]

Speaking as one whose first sitar was a very nice "studio" model sitar that actually had a beautiful acoustic tone...those transducers they stick on these instruments are a special kind of useless and crappy. I ripped mine out...there are good transducers out there, but they tend to cost a bit of money, require a good preamp, and are almost never installed stock...

Buy a sitar (or surbahar) because it sounds good acoustically...if it doesn't sound good there, it won't sound good through a PA...

Again, just my 2c, your mileage may vary!
Three5Seven

Reply with quote  #18 
Hm... ok, I'm taking quite a bit of this to heart. I think my new plan is a field trip to NYC to go shop around a bit. It's the only place near me where Indian instruments can be bought, and I'm starting to sour on the idea of buying online and hoping for the best. If I find a cool surbahar I can afford, great! If I decide to just upgrade my wall decor sitar with a legit instrument, that's an ok outcome too... but the idea that I could fork over a ton of money and wait weeks and weeks only to get something I'm not thrilled with is quite nerve-wracking.

You folks are awesome... thank you! And I'm sure I'll be posting quite a bit more as I continue my journey.
Kirya

Reply with quote  #19 
You might want to look into this Brazilian sitar maker as well -- he does not look cheap but he is electric friendly and the sound samples sound good even though the guy playing is not really a Raga Music guy.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Raja-Singh-Sitarmaker-Instrumentos-Musicais-Indianos-Feitos-no-Brasil/236295986403268

Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #20 
Quote:
STillofthedoor wrote:
These Ganesh surbs and the Hamsa bird sitar:
http://www.elsitar.com/product/teak-pro-hamsa
were designed by some East European creative type. They used to be sold on ebay by one of the companies that sell instruments from India and the adds included a write up about the guy.

He obviously put a lot of love into the instruments design and they are beautys, but I haven't heard anyone who actually has one say how great they which makes me wonder...a good design doesn't necessarily translate into a great sitar unless the designer has the determination and resources to quality control the build and choose the maker.... I suspect sitarfixer would still have plenty to say(/vent ) on that subject
[size=150]au contraire mon frere[/size]

Your Friendly Ghost gets to chime on THIS ONE :twisted:
Feel Free to join this party Tony :wink:
HA HA HA :twisted: - TO SEE THIS AGAIN :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
You can check the archives here on the forum for my previous tirades on this paticular instrument.
That Ganesh Surbahar or Sitar - has been a MAJOR sore point with me for almost 8 years. That design is MINE!

As sent to sitarfixer in EARLY 2006 (my original idea for this goes back even further - I won't reveal when but I have the ideas on paper DATED - HE HE :twisted: )
I had a major hack on all of my emails back then. This was when I was working with Tony on what was to become the Rose (with singing birds) BEFORE it became the Rose. This design complete with Ganesh headstock - floral inlays on the neck & fretboard - full tail peacocks on the tabli ALL of it (and even more over the top goodies) were a flight of fancy when Tony asked me to come up with ideas for my ULTIMATE sitar want list for my design - Tony drew it up & sent me copies - & then showed it to the shop in Miraj.
When we then figured the problems with tuning (at least 2 pegs on the opposite side under the extra large top toomba) - the time - AND THE COST of the instrument we went in a different direction, there it languished on paper & cyberspace.
18 months or MORE later (I've kept a log since then) I found the 1st Ganesh surbahar with the Eastern European guy claiming it was his on line - ALMOST 2 YEARS LATER - COINCIDENCE - I DON'T THINK SO :evil:

I know some have been increadulous before on Tony's designs being ripped off because he has ressurrected design ellements from the greatest sitars ever created. BUT - Between the Rose sitar headtsock - That had NEVER been done before - Tony designed mine from an origional DATED drawing he did for me - now knocked off by numerous makers (flattery) to The Super Teak on his website knocked off almost 3 years after his was produced (unwanted flattery - talk to Tony) - To MY Ganesh design - STOLEN - I HATE HACKERS :evil: and other elements ressurrected by sitarfixer.
The fact that - EVEN IF you say some ellements were used in the past - My ROSE headstock from Tony AND MY Ganesh Design idea drawn up by Tony for production never realized, are comletely unique and subsequently RIPPED OFF. there are many more I could go on about - Tony's design book being sold off page by page - but that's an old story best left to Tony & forum history.

WHEW - glad I was ablle to vent that out once again.
I can understand makers wanting something unique & different to tantillize the western market - hence my saying the Rose was flattery (even tho the 1st forrays produced looked pretty lame) but THIS - an unrealized design only done on paper & email & the fact I was hacked all those years ago REALLY sets my blood boiling when the fellow in easter europe CLAIMS it as his own.
I still have all my 400 plus dated emails to Tony in my files that I printed out to go along with the Rose (with S...... you know) to my son in law or grandson when I go to the great sitar concert in the sky.

I actually have thought about buying one of these when i have the extra roops for a gamble - even if it's set up POORLY - Bridge - frets - etc etc - etc are margianal - Tony only lives 2 blocks away (YAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY )
and he could rebuild the whole thing if necessary.

That being said - IF you want a really good Surbahar at a reasonable price - Follow the aforementioned sources - AACM - Rain City - Trippy Monkey in the UK - Kala Kendar in Canada. They will bend over backwards to make sure you get the instrument of your dreams - IF YOU JUST LOVE The Ganesh - the instrument of MY DREAM and are willing to roll the bones GO FOR IT -
MY (MEANING - ME - MYSELF - BRIAN - THE GHOST's ) design is VERY unique & it LOOKS like they did a descent job on the build - but you know what they say about a pretty face :roll: :wink:
Be prepaired to doll out a few hundered extra scheckles - roops- bucks on setups - reinforcement - rebuilds should it have not been produced with the love & care that you'd expect for a pricey instrument.

BOY - I feel better now
Don't get to rant much anymore - I try to be stoic - kharmic - and Zen about such things but this ONE really puts a burr under my saddle .
Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #21 
Poor Ghost - and what a terrific design. May I say "welcome to the club"? I designed and drew a transposing tremolo for guitar and was dumb enough to send it to Ned Steinberger suggesting we develop it together. A few months later he has a patent on his (not) design. I was never compensated and received no credit. My amplifier ideas have been ripped as well by others. Congratulations on a very elegant and striking Ganesh headstock and all the rest, say hi to "the tone" for me. GF
Sillofthedoor

Reply with quote  #22 
Quote:
BOY - I feel better now
Don't get to rant much anymore - I try to be stoic - kharmic - and Zen about such things but this ONE really puts a burr under my saddle .
Hamletsghost 8)
Glad to be of help. There "s a time for everything, going crazy now will deepen your sanity for when you need it, like when you are playin sitar for example...
Three5Seven

Reply with quote  #23 
I still ended up ordering that ganesh surbahar, just out of morbid curiosity. It's such a gorgeous design (tips hat to Hamletsghost), if I can manage to do much of anything with it musically, even if I need to add reverb and flange and phase and chorus and just go all neo-psych with it, I think I'll hang on to it just for effect. If not I'll just re-sell it. In the meantime I also invested in a legit quality SenGupta sitar so I have the best of both worlds, and someday I'll save up and get a solid surb if having a less expensive one happens to whet my appetite.

Thanks for the input!!!
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #24 

Thanks...haven't ever felt so good on this subject.
Please keep us posted...I am VERRRRY curious.
Hope its a real gem for you.
They certainly did a nice job realizing it at least cosmetically.
Can't wait to hear your review of it as an instrument.

Cheers
Brian 8)

Reply with quote  #25 
Ah, well then from one Brian to another... truly beautiful design, Brian. If it turns out to be a sub-par surbahar (a sub-bahar, if you will) I'd be willing to invest in dossying it up if it's at all outside the realm of hopelessness. I've seen surbahars with a crude Ganesh head that resembles the swan head that curves back onto itself but they just put a set of elephant ears on it and roughly fashion the beak as a trunk... but it's just not the same as having a perfect Ganesh head built into the headstock, crown and all. Add the vine going up the neck and the peacock inlays and... well, like I said, it would pretty much have to sound like old rubber bands stretched over a calculus book for me to not want to play it!

I'm glad I can at least offer some credit where it's due. *bow of respect*

-Brian
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.