INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
rakakatoofaan

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello forum member. Lately, I am trying to buy an Electric Sitar.

Background:
I already have an acoustic Sitar. Sometimes, I hook it up to a dynamic mic for recording and sometimes, I use a piezo mic for amplification. However, I am looking to play fusion and would like to play in a jamming session and would like to experiment with the tremolo and delay effects on the Sitar, as well 😉. I have asked to put a passive mic in the Sitar, as part of the spec, so that I can EQ it later. 

Advice, feedback, or Suggestions:
I have contacted some sitar makers in India, and have narrowed down to two sitar makers, from Miraj, so would like to get your feedback. I am confused between Naeem Sitar maker and Mohammed Waseem Sitar maker. Cost of the Sitar is roughly the same for the specs, I have asked them, including shipping. Please help me with any advice, feedback or suggestion, for the above two mentioned sitar makers, w.r.t, quality and sound or any other pointers that this community finds valuable.

Thank You

barend

Reply with quote  #2 
Not sure what pickup they will put in it? But I would somehow not trust them with electronics and buy my own pickup if I were you.
Make sure you state exactly what you want and repeat that often. Communication can be a problem especially with measurements and setup things.

I would use a mic if you want to use effects but a piezo pickup.
desh

Reply with quote  #3 

I just thought I would mention that a few months back I was in the Kalakendar store in Toronto and they had a Waseem Kharaj Pancham style sitar on display. I must say the quality of the carving, engraving and fit and finish was very impressive.

Regarding the Naeem sitar maker, I have no experience with them but Lars has posted a clip of a studio sized sitar on Youtube that might be helpful:

Best of Luck,
Desh

rakakatoofaan

Reply with quote  #4 
Thank You everyone for your support!
ThunderBass95

Reply with quote  #5 
If you live in North America then check out Rain City Muisic. Lars has electric sitars available and he will personally setup and adjust every instrument he sells so you will be able to play it right out of the box. Good luck.[wink]
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.