INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 2 of 2      Prev   1   2
Chandran

Reply with quote  #16 
OK, I know its been awhile since I posted this. Every one's tips were very helpful. The main bridge squeak was solved by jawari (of course), the top nut squeak was solved by carefully smoothing out the the track. The peg squeak was solved by a rougher grade carpenters chalk and lowering the height of where the string leaves the peg, as advised. However, I am still being plagued by a terrible squeak in the second top nut, the one that is closest to the peg. I am temporarily using a piece of thread between the string and top of the hole. It seems that the string has worn a kind of notch into the bone. Anyone have advice as to how to smooth that out?
Sitarfixer

Reply with quote  #17 
Nut hole (for lack of a better term) - if it has the slot feeding it, get the string outta there and and slid in a strip of 220 grade sandpaper +-. drag Mr. paper back and forth a bit until you see some bits coming off that aren't sandpaper grit. That paper edge will need to curl around all the way up into the hole to do its thing on the upper radius of that hole. Just a few hits should do it. Be careful not to get any other part of that piece of sandpaper scratching the instrument. If the nut hole has no slot, take out the two top pegs and hit the hole from the backside with a jewelers needle file. The taper of the file will be wrong so only give the hole a few hits. Angle that file up towards the top edge of the other nut strip if possible without having the tail end of the file dragging/digging into the wood. Laying down a piece of thin cardboard to protect the wood is a reeeely, reeeeely good idea. DO IT !!! If you want to fit slots if none are there, get a small, small saw from Home Despot or similar hardware store, take only the blade and hold each end in each hand. Rock/walk/slide back and forth (sawing motion) the saw blade on a penciled line where you want the slot to be with the blade teeth always parallel to the neck surface. If you want a nice Hemenesque curved slot, get a coping saw blade. They be reeeely skinny! Idealy, the relationship between the top of the other nut strip to the hole on this nut strip should be such that there is a solid contact of the string on both contact points. If the hole is high up from the neck surface, the string angle is shallower and can be of sufficiently reduced tension as to create the dreaded "squeek". An emergency possible fix might be to feed the string from the peg closer to the peg handle. That will at least raise that strings angle and put more string pressure on the string hole contact point. Downside is that there will be a nasty leverage issue on the peg shaft. That can, in time, create a permanently bent shaft if not turned frequently. OK, I've rambled on enough. Hope all this stuff helps you out. Cheers!

Reply with quote  #18 
Before you perform major surgery try rubbing a thick coating of pencil lead in the offending holes and surfaces, it also has the benifit of lubricating the nut/string guide for easier tuning. Or follow the Sitarfixer instructions, another trick we ambiguiadexterous types use on our "other" instruments are graphite nuts...very slick. Might be a good combo with those new fangled delrin and black celcon bridges.

Reply with quote  #19 
another trick we ambiguiadexterous types use on our "other" instruments are graphite nuts

I was trying to figure out how a graphite nut would hold up under such pressure from a sitar, then read you were referring to "other instruments." Then realized who was responding and ... well .... perhaps just leave it at that.

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.