INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #1 
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fine-RARE-Wood-Kartar-Chand-Sharma-Sitar-Hard-Case-/320734951685?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4aad4af905#ht_500wt_1413

They say it is a fine old Kartar Chand sitar and they are asking $1,900!!!
I am not sure why they think it is Kartar Chand as there is no maker badge.
I dont think Kartar Chand or Hari Chand ever made such a shitty sitar.
Maybe I am wrong, but it has all the hallmarks of a $200 hippie wall art.
At least the pegs look like they are the crappiest pegs ever produced.

Certainly the $1,900 price tag is about 1000% markup.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #2 
I have a Nepali Martini-Henry rifle of 1870s vintage that looks in better shape than that one!

So they are missing the taraf bridge...but not strings. Well, I suppose you could carve a jawari into the tabli!
Bhakta

Reply with quote  #3 
The taraf bridge is on there, it's just behind the main bridge...
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #4 
I agree: as beat up as this sitar is, it probably has never seen better days. Still, I'm a sucker for old things and this one has some history. I actually smile a bit when I look at it. Everything about this reminds me of one of my sitars that indeed was built to be a hippy era wall decoration, but I like playing it anyway for a number of reasons.

Too bad the seller appears to be unaware that this speciment doesn't measure up to what he is comparing to. :roll: I should think it could be worth a couple hundred especially because the pen work is lovely.

Cheers,
Allen

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Bhakta"
The taraf bridge is on there, it's just behind the main bridge...
I saw that! At least it isn't missing any major pieces!

Reply with quote  #6 
I certainly was not saying that this sitar has no place in the world.
For $200 I am sure it is a cute little trash pile that would be fun to throw around.
But for $1,900.... insanity.

I messaged the seller that it was probably worth $200-$300 at most.
I think it is just a case of someone having no idea what these things are really worth.
nicneufeld

Reply with quote  #7 
Hey, maybe positioning the taraf bridge behind the main bridge will be the new thing anyway...gives you that lower Pa to Pa range, instead of Sa to Sa...
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #8 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "cwroyds"
....I think it is just a case of someone having no idea what these things are really worth.
Or perhaps not.... I was just re-thinking The seller might have just done a quick web search for the first manufacturer name he could find and used it for his description. Oh my... that would be dishonest, wouldn't it?!?!?

Reply with quote  #9 
I've just asked them how they know, with NO name tag, that it's what they say it is.
Will report back if I get any reply.

Nick
trippy monkey

Reply with quote  #10 
It's now gone down to $595!!!!

I must've hit a nerve there!?!!?

Nick
RichardH

Reply with quote  #11 
From eBay:
Quote:
Listing is for a fine Kartar Chand Sharma reproduction sitar. Only missing the naming Karter Chand inlay -- all other elements of this gorgeous piece of Indian music history are in good condition. Beautifully carved and intricately detailed inlays are all hand made as most Indian instruments. Includes hard case with yellow cloth interior -- not original. The sound will even fool you into believing this instrument is the real deal !!!

BUY IT NOW just $495. We often see this special kind of sitar go for over $800!! Our price is a steal!
povster

Reply with quote  #12 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "RichardH"
From eBay:
Quote:
Listing is for a fine Kartar Chand Sharma reproduction sitar. Only missing the naming Karter Chand inlay -- all other elements of this gorgeous piece of Indian music history are in good condition. Beautifully carved and intricately detailed inlays are all hand made as most Indian instruments. Includes hard case with yellow cloth interior -- not original. The sound will even fool you into believing this instrument is the real deal !!!

BUY IT NOW just $495. We often see this special kind of sitar go for over $800!! Our price is a steal!
And it looks like they added "reproduction" in the first sentence.

OM GUY

Reply with quote  #13 
Does it come with extra mizrabs (too small) a packet of extra strings and a booklet on how to play like an expert in 7 lessons or less?

""" But wait....if you act now... we'll also send you a real maharaja's turban, holy ashes, as well as an autographed photo of a genuine Khumba Mela Baba!!...but you have to hurry!! This one won't last long!! Beatles!! Rare!! Ravi Shankar Style, guaranteed!!!""""

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by "OM
Does it come with extra mizrabs (too small) a packet of extra strings and a booklet on how to play like an expert in 7 lessons or less?

""" But wait....if you act now... we'll also send you a real maharaja's turban, holy ashes, as well as an autographed photo of a genuine Khumba Mela Baba!!...but you have to hurry!! This one won't last long!! Beatles!! Rare!! Ravi Shankar Style, guaranteed!!!""""

How about throwing in a Pocket Fisherman if you are in the first 100 callers.....
AllenDS

Reply with quote  #15 
This auction item does have one thing in it's favor: it actually is a SITAR being sold, unlike this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Dragon-Head-Wood-Real-Sitar-Wire-Strings-Plays-Unusual-/270789841017?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f0c551079

Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.