INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
Gyurme

Reply with quote  #1 
anyone have any experience buying a sitar from the ebay seller 'shanmaker', based in India? :?:
Hamletsghost

Reply with quote  #2 
so obviously no one here knows them yet....

I went to eBay to check them out & here's my take.
New sitars look a little better than firewood but are still the ulubria ... Veranasi... Etc etc market quality no name. You COULD get luck & get a gem in hiding ... You could get unlucky & get the tree stump of the week with sapwood pegs & all. So it's a crap shoot.
The key for you if its a starter super cheap you're looking for is access to a GOOD Jawariwalla should you get the stump. Tony ... Lars.... Kalyan... Scott COULD (no guarantees) make a dog at least playable to.learn on.
But remember spending that 2 to 4 hundred on a starter & could end up adding 300 or much more in fret dressing...peg hole reaming.... Replacing bad pegs... Eyelets.. Posts etc etc etc then a jawari to make it sing.
Many here have always said save & spend as much as you possibly can up front to get a better instrument. (Although you can still get screwed beyond compare for a many thousand dollar instrument.... See sarod article).
It is always better to buy from a trusted source ... musicians mart... Rain City... A custom Karasek. Then you know that you have a person here looking out for your best interest.

The one intriguing item Shanmaker has on eBay right now is a nice old Hemen for 900 bucks. Pics LOOK correct. Tony can help with the badge ID but if I remember correctly the little metal oval was 60's to early 70's.
If so its good price for such an item...I'd hop on it immediately if it's correct.

Be sure to get firm shipping quotes as they cAn be quite salty & a real sucker punch if you don't get firm quote up front.

Well hope this helps .... Good luck on your hunt.
Hamletsghost 8)

Reply with quote  #3 
You will need to do work on whatever you buy most likely...... and it might mean a major overhaul, which could be refitting all the pegs, polishing and retying frets, redoing the action on nut and bridge, jewari... just fer starters.
I did one transaction with him and the jewari work he promised was complete crap.You are emphatically better off buying from a good supplier here in the country who can give you some assurance of getting a good playable sitar from the start. This has been discussed over and over again and it is still true....!!!
katyrow

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
You are emphatically better off buying from a good supplier here in the country who can give you some assurance of getting a good playable sitar from the start.
Unless you have experience working on/maintaining sitars (and are good at it), this is the best advice you could get, even if you are buying an instrument by a first-tier maker.
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.