INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment   Page 1 of 2      1   2   Next
Shahrez Zahid

Reply with quote  #1 
Hi,

I’m currently in the process of deciding between getting a 1960’s Rikhi Ram and a 1980’s Hiren Roy (both kharaj pancham, made of tun).
Curious if you guys have any input on possible sonic differences between the two in order to decide which one to get.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #2 

Without any photos or info, it is hard to say.
Condition would be a consideration, as well as price

Without seeing either, I would go for the Hiren Roy.
It would most likely have the tone I am looking for. 

I have a Hiren Roy from the 80s and it is an amazing instrument. 
I dont know much about Rikhi Ram sitars from the 60s, but they can be nice instruments.

Did you have a chance to play them, or are you just looking on the internet?

Shahrez Zahid

Reply with quote  #3 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwroyds

Without any photos or info, it is hard to say.
Condition would be a consideration, as well as price

Without seeing either, I would go for the Hiren Roy.
It would most likely have the tone I am looking for. 

I have a Hiren Roy from the 80s and it is an amazing instrument. 
I dont know much about Rikhi Ram sitars from the 60s, but they can be nice instruments.

Did you have a chance to play them, or are you just looking on the internet?

The Hiren Roy is a solid $800 cheaper, but both are very well maintained and are being set up professionally. Therefore, in terms of their condition and set up, they’re both very nice. I’m also going to get a sound clip soon to tonally judge the instruments.
The main purpose of the question is just to get people’s opinions and perhaps, even experiences of having played or owned instruments from the makers/eras in order to inform my decision.
Sillofthedoor

Reply with quote  #4 
a 60"s RR would have limited meend would it not?  I think so.  I'd def go for the Hiren Roy, from what little info you give.
barend

Reply with quote  #5 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillofthedoor
a 60"s RR would have limited meend would it not?  I think so.  I'd def go for the Hiren Roy, from what little info you give.

I agree. I would go for the HR. Very strange that the HR is 800$ cheaper. I had a very early 60s RR a few years ago. Sold it for 500 or 600 euros. Was not easy to sell either. The HR is worth more than the RR. That is without seeing any pictures.

Yes a 60s RR has limited meend range, 4 and a half note max, and very thin frets.
sason

Reply with quote  #6 
Quote:
Originally Posted by barend

I agree. I would go for the HR. Very strange that the HR is 800$ cheaper. I had a very early 60s RR a few years ago. Sold it for 500 or 600 euros. Was not easy to sell either. The HR is worth more than the RR. That is without seeing any pictures.

Yes a 60s RR has limited meend range, 4 and a half note max, and very thin frets.

Excuse me, I think differently. I have a necklace RR sitar from around 1970, and a HR sitar from early eighties. They are GP sitars, tuned to C#, and have a similar mind range -limited compared to sitars from the 90s). Both are great Sitars with a very sweet tone. I know that My HR sitar still need some work to get to its full potential. At moment, I think that my RR is far more better.

Because my HR require some more work, I cannot be sure about its sonic quality. I feel that its mind action is less demanding (more easy to hit the right spots) than of my RR. Both have a loud sound, but the the HR is louder. The RR has a very deep and precise sound and it caches the harmony between the notes, other than only between SA and PA. When it is tuned correctly and when one hits the right spot, it is a pure Nirvana experience. 

I have  another RR sitar from 1995 (the end of the Era...). It is also great. It has absolutely different taste than the old ones. I don't play it much because it is KP sitar. It is more easy to tune and play than the old ones.  
I am quite sure that these two sitars for sale have better sound than many of new ones sold today. But it depends on their condition.
Overall, almost every decent sitar can have a great sound and its sonic qualities can be altered by some tweaking and a Jawari

barend

Reply with quote  #7 
Quote:
Originally Posted by sason

Excuse me, I think differently. I have a necklace RR sitar from around 1970, and a HR sitar from early eighties. They are GP sitars, tuned to C#, and have a similar mind range -limited compared to sitars from the 90s). Both are great Sitars with a very sweet tone. I know that My HR sitar still need some work to get to its full potential. At moment, I think that my RR is far more better.

Because my HR require some more work, I cannot be sure about its sonic quality. I feel that its mind action is less demanding (more easy to hit the right spots) than of my RR. Both have a loud sound, but the the HR is louder. The RR has a very deep and precise sound and it caches the harmony between the notes, other than only between SA and PA. When it is tuned correctly and when one hits the right spot, it is a pure Nirvana experience. 

I have  another RR sitar from 1995 (the end of the Era...). It is also great. It has absolutely different taste than the old ones. I don't play it much because it is KP sitar. It is more easy to tune and play than the old ones.  
I am quite sure that these two sitars for sale have better sound than many of new ones sold today. But it depends on their condition.
Overall, almost every decent sitar can have a great sound and its sonic qualities can be altered by some tweaking and a Jawari

Maybe 70s RR sitars have a wider neck? Those really old ones definitely have a smaller neck and there for less meend range. As for sound; they have an old school vintage type sound. Sounds nice and different but if you want a more modern sound I would go for the HR.

As for price. Not sure what he is asking but I would not give more than 1000$ for the vintage RR. I think they are less in demand than HR sitars.
mizrable

Reply with quote  #8 
i own an 80 s HR and have 2 students with bone necklace RR’s . They are totally different machines. I would say that the tablis are thinner on the RR hence they are more trebly
and resonant also they have higher bridges than the HR but for some reason they arent that much harder to play. the strings are closer together but they can be played both RS style and VK style yea meend may be less but its totally worth more than $1000
due to its a age , workmanship, and rarity.
Ive seen em in stores for $1750 and above
theres on on the ATL craigslist thats Tony K rebuilt but it still has the original tabli . some one sold one on the baltimore CL last month for $150. The two my students found were purchased for $900 on Craigslist
neither seller knew what they had.
If u dont care about meend range and u have the money i would go with what u think sounds the best or enjoyed playing more
Shahrez Zahid

Reply with quote  #9 
Yeah, I ended up going for the Hiren Roy sitar.
Also realised I got this piece of info wrong, haha. The HR is $800 MORE than the RR.
katyrow

Reply with quote  #10 
Quote:
Originally Posted by mizrable

theres on on the ATL craigslist thats Tony K rebuilt but it still has the original tabli . some one sold one on the baltimore CL last month for $150.

Neither of these sitars is a Rikhi Ram.
cwroyds

Reply with quote  #11 
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyrow

Neither of these sitars is a Rikhi Ram.

If it is the one at this link, then it is a Karasek Sound sitar. Definitely not Rikhi Ram. Tony liked that necklace design and included it in one of the models he made with R A Sitarmaker.

https://athensga.craigslist.org/msg/d/lawrenceville-sitar/7110030159.html

The one in Baltimore is in no way RR.
Just a pedestrian market sitar
https://annapolis.craigslist.org/for/d/laurel-sitar-with-instruction-dvds-and/7122488009.html
mizrable

Reply with quote  #12 
ok yes AtL one is a karasek sound didnt know he just copied the design
i dont think the baltimore one is still up havent seen it in a while it had a broken peg
sason

Reply with quote  #13 
Quote:

Maybe 70s RR sitars have a wider neck? Those really old ones definitely have a smaller neck and there for less meend range.

I think both of the necks of the my old sitars have the same size. I will do some measurements.  
barend

Reply with quote  #14 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahrez Zahid
Yeah, I ended up going for the Hiren Roy sitar.
Also realised I got this piece of info wrong, haha. The HR is $800 MORE than the RR.

That makes sense.
Do you pictures of both the RR and the HR? Curious about the asking price of the RR as well.
sason

Reply with quote  #15 
Quote:

Maybe 70s RR sitars have a wider neck? Those really old ones definitely have a smaller neck and there for less meend range.

I checked the sizes my Sitars. Both, RR (circa 1970) and HR (early 80s), are exactly the same: 88mm wide and 89cm long (up to the joint). The distance between the upper nut to the bridge is different: RR- 87cm and HR- 85cm. But this may be because the RR has a bit bigger tumbha and because the bridge on the HR is not (yet) in its optimal location. Does the neck of sitars from an older era is less wide? 

As far as I know, new sitars have a shorter neck than the old ones because of the shift from C# to D.
For some time, I tuned the sitars to D (it of course requires more power for mind). I shifted back to C# because I think these sitars sound a lot better with a lower key.  

Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.