INDIAN MUSIC FORUMS

Author   Comment  
AnahataNada

Reply with quote  #1 
Hello,

I have a dumb question: can a kharaj pancham sitar be converted into a gandhar pancham sitar by restringing it and changing the bridges? I appreciate your input. Thanks!
producito

Reply with quote  #2 
Hi AnahataNada

I think you can without problems. The 5th main peg will be empty, and the last slot of the bridge will be also empty.

x.
RagaMeister19

Reply with quote  #3 
Yes, you can. I have done it by removing the two bass strings and adding a fourth chikari string where the low Sa string was. It works great. Save the strings just in case you find you don't like Ghandar Pancham, then you simply put the sitar back to Kharaj Pancham. Good luck. [thumb]
barend

Reply with quote  #4 
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnahataNada
Hello,

I have a dumb question: can a kharaj pancham sitar be converted into a gandhar pancham sitar by restringing it and changing the bridges? I appreciate your input. Thanks!

Yes you can. But the you have to recut the string slots of the main bridge. Because GP sitars have a larger gap between ma and sa string. Simply removing the sa string and placing it in place of low pa will make this gap too large. Also the Ga string is placed a little bit further away from the pa Chikari than the kharaj is I think.

Also I am not sure if all GP sitars have the same scale length as KP sitars? Some might be a little shorter?
Blind Lemon Mike

Reply with quote  #5 
Yes you can. I also did this, because i moved, and the only available teacher nearby happens to teach in that style.

Ghandar Pancham Sitars are by far harder to come by in Europe, and right now i also could not afford a second sitar, so i converted it. 

I still have the Sa-String on the same Peg as it would be on a Kharaj Pancham Sitar, because otherwise i woul need a new nut. The way the nut is cut, it prevents the string from beeing on the other Peg, it would break constantly because of the sharp edge there.... 

The Bridge is replaced with a more closed Bridge, with different Ghandar Pancham Slots, to compensate or the String Spacing. That is of course the biggest hassle, to adapt the new bridge....

It is somewhat odd to have that sound coming from that styling, but you get used to it. 

my Sitar happens to have no Upper-Gourd anyway, and regarding the Sympathetic-Strings, i choose to still use all of them, but you coul just leave one empty...More important is, how you tune the first ones...

kind regards
Previous Topic | Next Topic
Print

Quick Navigation:

Easily create a Forum Website with Website Toolbox.